Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

What could be wrong with my back?

cloedollccloedoll Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:43 AM in New Member Introductions
I posted this on Yahoo Answers, but figured I'd go straight to a back pain forum and see your responses (:

I'm a very active teenager, not overweight (112lbs./5'6), but have this awful back pain. I have those dimples in my back and it just so happens, I think my lower back pain originates from this area because it hurts when I press on my left back dimple. In addition to that, I randomly get this "electrical shocks" down my left leg. It happens real quick, typically with exercise (I am a horseback rider)...but I remember getting these "shocks/pains" when I was in intense cheer leading a few years ago. They seem to be random, but I almost always get them once per each horseback ride. Please, does anyone have any idea what this could be? I've tried explaining this to my PCP, but he blows me off because I'm a teenager and ya know, there is just no way I could have back pain. =\ Thanks so much for any input. =)

(sorry if this isn't the correct spot to be posting it, I wasn't sure).

• Welcome to Spine-Health.

You are indeed young to be having back problems, but it's not impossible. We aren't doctors here and can't diagnose, but I'd suggest seeing someone to be sure that you're not at the beginning stages of back problems. I know from experiencing that jumping is very hard on the lower back.

At the point you are, if your problems are coming from your back, I think PT would probably work out the kinks that are causing pain. Please keep in mind I'm not a doctor, not even close, but you might want to see if your PCP will entertain that idea.

Take care and keep us posted.
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. so glad you stopped by. :D Cath gave you some really good advice about your back... you are so young and we are not doctors by any means... good luck to you and stop by anytime.. let us know what happens!! Jenny :)
  • its always worth having any pain that last more than a few weeks professionally checked out by a medical person .a good place to start is you family doctor .my 14 year old very fit and not over weight and active daughter started with back ache ..and she has got a bad back problem ..L5 disk to be precise ..she is managing it with an intensive course of private physiotherapy ..but she will most likely have to have an operation as she gets older
    and that just cam e from nowhere ..don't worry but go and get checked out just for piece of mind
  • I think you should tell your parents about your symptoms, esp since you have done cheerleading, and have them take you to see a doctor. What concerns me is electric pains that go down your leg and maybe they'll order an x-ray or even an MRI. We have young people here with back problems and this can happen at any age. Have your parents take you to another PCP if you get nowhere with your current doctor. You're right- don't let anyone dismiss your symptoms. I hope this is nothing serious and hope you get better soon. Take care