Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Topamax- How did you all ramp up?

happyHBmomhhappyHBmom Posts: 2,070
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:43 AM in Pain Medications
I am currently switching from Lyrica to Topamax, mostly because of weight gain.

I had seriously forgotten how much the Lyrica helped until I tapered off. Ouch!

Anyway, for those of you that ramped up on Topamax, what was your experience like? I guess I'm mostly looking for a little commiseration :) And, trying to remind myself not to rush it in hopes of getting the pain under control.

• I took it for a long time for migraine prevention (and it worked great).

Started on one 50mg tab a day for a week then went up another 50mg.

I really did feel a brain fog with Topamax during the first week but soon got over it. And, yes it really does cause some weight loss :)

Keep positive!

...an old timer here and ex-moderator

• Thanks, Bruce! I'm on 150 a day now and starting to feel an impact on the migraines, but not much yet on the nerve pain, although I just got my RF ablation so I guess topamax is out of its league there ;)

But just stepping up to 150 I'm feeling a bit better than I did on 100.

So far brain fog seems slight less than on lyrica, but with the added fun of the funny taste in my mouth (but lyrica is not an option now that my BP is an issue).
  • I am probably going to give topamax a try. Im not going to replace neurontin with it as that is too dangerous for me, neurontin is needed for my pain enough that I am afraid to stop it. I am hoping topamax helps and allows me to atleast lower my neurontin dose for two reasons, severe swelling of my lower legs and feet, and also serious weight gain.

My hopes arent high though because I havent read much about topamax helping nerve pain, especially periperal nerve pain.

I am also interested in anyones topamax experience if they feel like sharing.