Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Filed for ssdi on line today

john 40jjohn 40 Posts: 190
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:43 AM in Health Insurance Issues
Wow it took almost all day I sat in front of the comp so long I cant feel my bottom and legs any more I am kinda freaked out I hope the feeling comes back although at least my foot and leg don’t hurt I should have laid down and did it on my lap top(duh)
I have been off work for almost 13 mo had micro d done looks like it did not work new mri shows annular tear and nutro foreman compromise l5 s1 (crap) the last 2 months the pain and burning have been getting worse in back leg and foot and feels like some one is pulling my little toe nail off I do not see my new surg doc for 16 days but after seeing the pt doc his guesstimate on mri looks like more surg (like the f word) with long recovery times I wood really like to go back to work but I cant sit stand walk for more than 20 min with out back and leg spazin or hurting so bad I get upset tummy and some times body sweets and have to lay down for a few hr or days I don’t know if I have enough med info to get ssdi I talked to a intern for a lawyer a couple months ago he say I should have filed 2 months after surgery

• The SSDI process is a long one...of course depending on your age, it may not be as long, from what I've seen over the years here at SH. Did you also file for SSI (that would be based on your income but it is my understanding that most people file for both concurrently). If you didn't, I would amend my application-it's at least worth a shot. From what my atty told me, if you get SSI, you are automatically eligible for food benefits & M'Caid to go along with the extra $. If you get just SSDI, it's just the check & M'Care, but you have to wait 2 years before you can get the M'Care, which is why I'm suggesting the SSI application as well (unless you have other health insurance?).

I filed for SSDI/SSI in Sept 2005 and JUST found out I was approved on 4/1 (after multiple appeals & a Congressional inquiry!). I'm awaiting the judgment in writing & for that $ to start rolling in. I never in a million years expected it to take as long as it did, and it isn't that way for everyone, but you can usually expect a 2 year wait (again, depending upon your age & your disabilities).

Best of luck to you-please keep us posted, OK? Will keep you in thoughts & prayer for a quick & positive outcome for you! Hang tough, my friend...hang tough =)
  • Morning Just be sure to send in all your medical
    records.The more you send in the better your chance are.

• i am looking into ssi don't no if i will qualify my wife is on std for ripped akilles tendon and gets 800 a month my std gist ran out and we have a couple acre lot my insurance runs out next month will have to do cobra if it is not to hi
    does any one no how many hours u have to work to re charge std i may have to jest have to take lots of pain pills and go to work in tell i cannot walk at all
    painkiller--i dont live to far from the ssdi office i think i will take all the records to them next week
    and i have appointment at the end of the month
    the surg office got my mri report yesterday and called today and want me to bring a copy of mri as soon as i can and will put me on call list to move my appointment up if they have a cancellation (crap)i am all most pi###t i new somthing was not right 7 months ago an let the old surgeon sway me out of it
  • Hi John! Its a long fight. I recommend lawyers from the get-go. It took me two years. I was just approved March 25th. My birthday was March 26th. I'm 58 yrs old.

My lawyers kept sending updated medical records. I think that is what did it. It took my daughter 3 yrs before she was approved. She has Multiple Sclerosis.

I wish you the best!

• SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    If the STD is through your employer they would have a maximum benefit. Often this is 26 weeks. My employer is 26 weeks in any 52 week period. If I was still employed I'd have to go back to work for 26 weeks before there would be more STD. EACH employer is different so you'd have to get a copy of the exact policy booklet to know for sure.

BUT, if the employer offers LTD that often kicks in after STD.

If you are referring to state disability (in HI, CA, PR, NY, NJ and RI) then you'd have to ask the claim people with the state.

You should apply for SSI at the same time as SSDI, then they'll evaluate for both. They could find you eligible for SSI and later convert that to SSDI.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • thinks i will have to call std and see i am in ca
    26 weeks sounds right
    i dont no if i could go back to work right now maybe part time or some thing i will ask the surg what he thinks i hate to think about pop-in the disc all the way out and having some more permanent nerve damage but that would be last ditch. i dont no if the doc would even give enough meds to keep me going that long @)
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    California State Disability (CASDI) is a max of 52 weeks.

If you have maxed out 52 weeks and can return to work it would take quite a few quarters of earnings to get back to your current benefit rate.

For example, if you are receiving the max STD of a
    $987/wk for 52 weeks. Then you go back to work at week 53 but need to go back out at week 63. You would not have earned enough credits to get CASDI. If you go back to work for one quarter you could again apply for CASDI BUT your benefit would be now based on what your RECENT earnings.

I hope this helps.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • John I know it is a scarey step but I think you need to find an attorney. Disability attorneys work on a percentage of what you get. So you pay nothing now and when you get benefits they get paid.

It would give you alot of peace of mind to have a professional handling this for you. If you are only 40 you are too young to be screwing up something so important.

I missed how this happened. I am assuming not work related because you would be on workers comp. Was it an accident? Also call you STD carrier to see if you have LTD. Usually if you have one you have the other. The LTD kicks in when STD ends.

One word of caution. Going back to work in any form could be a big no-no in the eyes of ssdi. Unfortunately the system does not understand that you need to eat and want to keep your insurance. Even working one day could start the clock over. Make sure you get good legal advice before doing anything.
  • ya i did it at home walking across the yard stepped in a 2" deep hole in the grass (what a way to get took out i wood be laughing if it did not hert) i fibbed i am 45 i prob should get a attorney after a big day with the pt-doc yesterday i got in the car today to go to town to get some records for ssdi appointment tomorrow i had a back attack less than a mile from home (i will have to mail that one in)now my leg and foot are burning all most like pre surg so i dont think i will be working any time soon i was going to go to pt-doc and get a ability to work report i will have to mail it in to
  • new surg looking at new mri say very larg tear in disc and leeking on nerve disc is slightly on nerve need to do fusion micro d will not fix the large tear (crap)
    what does ssdi think about that :??
  • my gp doc filled out rfc forms today it took all most 1.5 hr she had me standing, bending, kneeling,(that did not go to well)after that kneeling,squatting,
    it lit my back an leg up. i could not sit down i though the doc was going to give me a shot of some thing she kinda freaked out i told her it dose it all the time when i over do it.
    she poked my leg to see how far the numbness went (crap its all the way to my knee now)
    i don't no what she filled out i could walk in and go up the 2 or 3 stares with out using the hand rail (used 2 hands when leaving) she say the report will be done Friday or Monday morning so i can get a copy to take to ssid office.
    I was a very active person before all this started i can not believe how hard it was to do or not able to do some of the tests .this has made me very depressed .i am past being p##t off.after the ortho-doc visit and thees tests i am in a deep hole and its getting deeper
  • I know how depressing and scary all of this can be. If the depression gets a grip on you do not hesitate to talk to your doc about it. Depression is much easier to control in the beginning stages than in the later stages.
    Just like pain, do not let it get too elevated before seeking help. If you are suffering from depression make sure that you report it to SSD. It is not at all unusual for chronic pain and depression to go hand in hand.
    Try and hang in there and everything really will work itself out.
    Good luck and keep us posted.
  • and made appointment with a ssdi Attorney .
    ssdi say i can do my past work for at least 6 hr of a 8 hr day and i can walk with out a Cane .
    so i must be ok to go back to work and my last to docs that i have seen in person and say i should not even do phy therapy or drive are nuts .
    i should have called the ssdi docs first maybe i would not have needed my first surg. sure would have saved lots of time and useless dr appointments
    so i will go load up on pain meds and go to work since ssdi say i can. you think ssdi will pay for the cars and houses i accidentally run over .or my next 3 disc surgery's or my fusion they say i dont need -
    seams to me i may need a malpractices attorney. ssdi say i am fine so someone is wrong . maybe i have gone completely nuts. 8}
  • Oh John if the SSDI doctors ruled the world no one would need surgery. Of course we wouldnt need all these doctors :)

Take a deep breath and remember that their job is to weed out the people who don't need to be on disability. Don't take it too personally. My guess is that at least 90% of the people who file get that denial letter. It does work because a huge number never fight it.

SO get your attorney and prove your case. You know if you heart what you are able to do. Don't worry about a form letter. And welcome to the system.