Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

update:4 weeks post op 360 L-5 S-1 fusion

lynettellynette Posts: 217
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:43 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
HI everyone!

I continue to improve weekly. Yesterday rode 1hr in car with my sister to our favorite shoe store(comfort shoes, dansko merrile, naot etc..) and had lunch in Ithaca ny and rode home. We were gone 4 hrs. Her car was not the best for riding, kinda achy last night but feel good today and ran errands again for 3 hrs. I take a dose or 2 of tylenol a day and still ice after I do errands or walk. Have been so lucky with the weather here in Ny so makes you feel so much better. I also booked a vacation to Charleston to visit my daughter in 3 weeks (the last week before I go back to work). We are staying In Folly beach which is 15 min from her house so I figured I can Lie at the beach as well as I can lie here!! I don't get to see here very often so I am so excited!! The air travel is 4 hrs, 2 legs of 1 hr and 1 1/2 hr and a brief layover so i can stretch. I hope I will be ok with the travel. Any suggestions with the travel?? I just feel so blessed to have done so well . Everyone who sees me say I look great. All I can say is well i just feel like a 100lb wt was lifted of my shoulders! Lynette

• You scare me! I'm glad you are doing so well and I hope your progress continues. You must heal incredibly quickly!

If you can run errands for 3 hours with no ill effects, you should be fine on the plane.

Remember to listen to your body and don't push if you start to hurt....You will not be solidly healed for a year, so don't get too carried away.

• Lynette~You are Super Woman! That is awesome and I am so happy for you! A vacation on the beach sounds perfect, especially when combined with seeing your daughter! :) So happy for you!

Do you still have any swelling? I still do, some on my back. It just doesn't have any definition. Looks like a board! :) I also have abdominal swelling. It's getting better~she could actually find my hip bones today in PT when checking for my symmetry. :) I tend to have more swelling on the left where my insicion is. I am back in some of my clothes, but they were my baggy/comfy clothes. When I do too much, my abdominal insicion swells. I just don't have anything to compare it to.

I am walking about 1-2 miles/day, today rode the bike in PT for 1.5 miles. Just started PT again today after the funeral.

So happy you're doing so well! Thanks for posting too so we know how successful this can be! Yay! Shari

• I have no swelling, back into all my clothes. I have lost about 3-4 lbs and it was in my belly so that is why no problem with clothes. Sounds like you are doing really well with your Pt. i was reading some of my discharge papers again and My Dr does not start PT till full fusion, so could be a while for me! Lynette
  • That's great to hear you're doing so well and getting a little vacation in also. Drink lots of water on the plane and as well as get up and walk and do some ankle turns while sitting in your seat to prevent venous stasis well you should know that anyways wish you have a great time visiting your daughter and laying on the beach. Have an awesome time. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I can't believe you have no swelling and are back in all your clothes...now I wonder if most don't have swelling. I have back swelling and tummy swelling. My insicion swells if I over do.:(

I get the same answer that I know is true, but I am soo tired of hearing it "everybody is different"

I really think there is something going on with my abdominal insicion. I see the surgeon Tue for 6 week follow up. I just pray he takes me seriously and doesn't blow me off!

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions! Even though I didn't like the answers, I appreciate your answering. I am so happy for you! I'll get there, just a little slower than others! HA LOL
  • I would think that after everything you have been through, you most likely have more than the "normal" amount of swelling. You want to do what you can to protect yourself now that everyone has left and you can rest more.

Swelling can really become an issue if it continues on and on. Your doctor may want to take steps to reduce it, if indeed it is a problem for you. He may want you on an oral steroid or even might want a steroid injection, if he feels inflammation is a problem.

I'm glad you will be seeing your surgeon soon.

• Shari,

You have to remember I have not done any Pt to put any amount of strain on these incisions only walking. I was getting a little swelling on the back incision with increased activity but I haven't noticed any for about a week now. The abdomen incision when I first came home felt like a sausage under the incision the a hot dog and now just feels like a worm. The vascular surgeon said it would feel irregular for months until all the layers of sutures dissolve.

You have had your share of challenges and your body is being a little hyperactive to all of this and I think it will eventually settle down!! Lynette