Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

My "tricked-out" Tricycle!

lisa burekllisa burek Posts: 855
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:43 AM in Exercise and Rehab
Hi All,

A short while ago these non-stationary recumbent bikes were mentioned (can't remember who posted it).

Anyway, since I now have 4 lumbar levels fused I can pretty much forget my old 10 speed and the kids want me to bike ride with them. I kept going back to the bike and flip-flopping on buying it (its a bit pricey).

Well, Hubby said "go for it", it came yesterday. Hubby had a problem with one pedal, will finish tonight. Its red with flames on the fenders, yes, flames!

I crack up when when I imagine people's faces when they see me in this bike. Oh yeah, it also came with one of those bright orange flags! I can't decide if this is a "cool ride" or if I am a complete goober!I feel like I brought my old tricycle to MTV's "Pimp My Ride" and this is the outcome, LOL.

If anyone is interested in these bikes mine is made by Tri-ton.
By going through Amazon I was able to get free shipping, and it was 90.00 cheaper than from the manufacturer. I was able to order the childs version (up to 5'8" tall and up to 220 lbs.) which also saved me quite a bit of $. My kids are already trying to get to ride it. I'll let you all know how I like it.

• Keep the trike. I've seen them around here. If a regular bicycle is too painful and that works then go for it. You'll get some exercise and can hang out with your kids.

Keep the pole and orange flag on it Lisa. Those things are hard to see from inside a car sometimes. The flag needs to be about 4-6ft from the ground.

• Like a race care driver with the flames on the side it sounds cool. I have only my stationary recumbent bike to zoom around on. I'll race ya! What a good way to exercise and keep moving. I hope you have a mirror so you can see behind you as well.
    I went out today in my winter coat and mitts looking for my lost kitten and I walked for miles calling out kitty's name and then I get home and my next door neighbor calls and says kitty has been with her all day inside! I was so relieved but at least I got out and walked longer than I ever have. I think it's really motivation to exercise that will make our back and neck muscles stronger. I think I'll ice my leg now though. But I'm going to try to get out at least every other day to get the endorphins going and move it move it. I don't have an mp3 player but will get my walkman out of the dust and bring that with me for walks. Thanks for sharing. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • That sounds so awesome! I'm glad you still get to ride *something*. I bet you totally rock on that thing!
  • Well, for the past couple of days I have gone bike riding with my kids (yes Graham, the flag is a must!)
    and my kids were so happy that I could join them on rides, it was priceless! Another plus: this bike is FUN to ride!!!

• Glad you're enjoying it and getting to spend time with the kids. It's nice being able to start doing things again post op. I'm looking for a bike but probably not end up with one as cool as yours.

You're kids are telling their friends they have the coolest mom! She's hanging with a seriously pimped out ride ;-)
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    I'm sure your the talk of the town. And they are all dying with envy!
    Jim =D>
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • My teenage disabled son has two false legs and one arm and still manages to cycle, I feel like crying every time I see him, he is very resourceful. I too went out this morning on the coast, the sun is out and it was fantastic, I teach cycling to young children and they have such fun. Any cycling is better than nothing, none impact and gets that heart rate going.

Good luck Lisa, a great idea !

• It sounds like your son is quite a remarkable young man. I am very impressed, he just proves that saying "where theres a will, theres a way".

• Hi Lisa,

Sounds way cool! Post a pic so we can get a look at your 'hot-rod'

• Hi Lisa,
    I checked it out on Amazon and it looks awesome. I bet you're the coolest mom in the neighborhood.

Did you think it would be too risky to ride your regular bike now or what was your reasoning for the switch?