Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

My swimming pool is a short relief for me

blackberrybunnybblackberrybunny Posts: 157
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:43 AM in Diet, Nutrition, Weight Loss
Hi all!
I live in north Florida, and phew, it's been HOT here! It was 90 the other day, so I got my little swimming pool all cleaned out and filled with fresh water.

It is one of those round blue thick pools that has the inflatable ring around the top. I guess it is about 3 feet deep and 6 feet across at the top and 8 feet at the bottom. I mean, you can't really swim around in it, but you sure can submerge yourself! Why didn't they have these when I was a kid? All we had were those shallow hard rigid plastic pools that get hot after they sit in the sun 2 hours. Ugh! What a rip off compared to these nicer new pools.

Well, I noticed the other day when I got in that it really gave me great relief. You see, for the past year, since I really injured myself and tore 2 discs open, I sat around, getting more and more depressed, and not being able to hardly move, but buddy I sure could bust a move to bake cookies and shop for donuts and crap. So I put on about 40 lbs this year alone.

I weigh a little over 200 now, about 206. SO, this isn't funny, but it sort of it, you know fat floats, right? Well, getting in my pool made ALL of me float, my big belly and DDD boobs (sorry, but it's true and we're all adults here hopefully who understand!!) and wow, the whole time I was in there, it felt like it was taking all of the pressure off of my spine, off of those hurt discs.

I wish I could live in my pool. I am lucky to live in the country, and can run out there and jump in and no one to see me, it's really nice, since I don't exactly have a swimsuit that is flattering at all, haha.

What has your experience been? Does getting in the pool also help you too, IF you are overweight like me? These pools cost $45 now, and mom and I buy them at Dollar General and Family Dollar. Three years ago, they were only $20! Then, they went up to $30 the next year. Now they are up to $40 or $45. They are made by INTEX. IF you get one, GET A POOL COVER FOR IT! It will NOT only keep the green algae from growing, but it'll keep the water cool and keep the leaves out. Believe me, the cover made a HUGE difference. I had one one summer, no cover, disaster. I was dumping in a bottle of bleach all the time. It's very hot here in FL and that algae loves to grow! Then, next year, got a cover. Water stayed cool and clear! Used like 1/5 less bleach all summer! Amazing. Cover last 2 years. Now I need a new one. I suggest if you buy the 8 foot pool, don't get the 8 foot cover, get a larger one so it can hang over the edges of the pool. Becasue BELIEVE me, that inflatable ring at the top is what you are supposed to tie the cover down to, a cinch tie---and that ring IS GOING TO POP sooner or later, so then you have nothing to cinch to tie the cover down to. Get the 10 or 12 cover like I did, and it hangs over the edges and won't blow off. MUCH better.

Just an idea to try to help others out. These pools are great. INTEX.com, if that is okay to post this here, I hope so! They don't sell the 8 foot model online, but I think even walmart sells them. They come in a blue box that is about the size of a microwave, not big, how do they get it all in there? LOL

• near you {a 25 or 50 metre one} i use the local 25 metre private pool and i enjoy it .in the uk most people don't have there own pools except the very rich ..and they are indoors ..so most of us use a national company .it cost me 30 pounds a moths thats about 35 $ and its well worth it ..your pool is ok for a cool of but is f you want to do some swimming maybe you should check out your local swimming pools
    just a thought!! they are many with back problems at my local pool and most are over weight and as you know some of us have bits that make us stand out from the rest!!!
    have fun
  • Greetings Blackberry!!

We have been toying with putting in an "inground" pool for years. Well, knowing my hubby and his hate of chores, and me not able to do some of them, I have hesitated big time on that "house add on" if you will. Well, you gave me GREAT food for thought woman! *HUG* We were just talking, and are going to put in a moderate sized oval above ground pool as the "test bed" to see if it is a good fit for us, our life style and habits if you will.

If it goes bust, well, it beats loosing thousands with an in ground pool right? At a minimum (remembering your comment of relief for your spine), I might find a little safe place to get a break! I can't swim regular anymore as I don't have the range of motion in my neck between the fusions and other level issues. I am excited!!!! Thanks so much for sharing how this has helped. *HUG* Oh, and I am from the other end of the state - just above Key Largo. Thanks again Bunny, you re-fired my interest in a pool - but starting above ground first. :-) I hope you continue to have your spine relief thanks to that pool of yours!!! Take care.

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • I'm looking at getting a pool pass again, as my PT said I should start doing pool exercises again. Probably the biggest thing for me is pool temperature, it needs to be really warm for me to not get spasms (around 90 deg F).

I have tried cooler pools just for some relief and every time I end up in more pain after due to muscle spasms from the cold. For some this may not me that big of an issue, but its probably a good idea to make sure the pool works for you prior to paying for a membership. Good luck and good swimming.
  • Haven't tried the pool yet but looking forward to it.
    I have put on 10-15lbs in the last 8 months and am so thankful it's nice out.

I can walk outside vs. treadmill and am finding that it's much tougher. So, I'm hoping swimming will offer some relief and exercise.

• They say swimming is one of the best exercises for people like us with back problems and other joint problems and such. Enjoy the pool, you guys that have access to one. ;-)
  • I had some pool therapy with my PT and really enjoyed it. They gave me a pass to use the local Rec Center pool free for a month. Well, that was November in Illinois and I just cannot tolerate the cold so I never used the pass. But yesterday I went online and found out that it will only cost me $31 for a 3 month pass so I'm going to get one. When it gets warm enough I will use my sister's above ground pool. It's not heated but it's huge. When you have spine problems as well as COPD it's hard to find any meaningful exercise you can do. I'm really excited about this now!

• j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    at my moms complex last summer. And while floating on my back, barley treading, I noticed that with no weight on my spine. The pain wasn't there.
    It makes me think, the weightlessness of outer space would be just the ticket for us spineys. I wonder if I could write that off my taxes, for a medical expense, for the next 3 lifetimes! :))(
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • we could start an outer space community for spineys!very exclusive,you know
  • They have that plane where you can ride and it's like zero gravity, but then I found out it's jokingly, but for good reason, called the "Vomit Comet" and so, I dunno..... I'll stick to my pool for now, hahahah!
  • i had a home with my own swimming pool and i was in it 24 hours a day! :D my need for pain medication went down and my pain levels went down. i was so sad to leave that pool!! =(( now i swim when i can at the neighborhood pool. nothing like swimming at midnight though! you wake up, your back hurts and you can go out to the heated pool!! what a comfort! Jenny :)
  • Howdy Bunny,

Your posting of this pool thread was the "final" part I needed to get a pool here. It got delivered today, and hopefully this week they will install it! Even if I get relief only while in the pool - that alone will make it worth it! Thanks again for the thread!!!

• You are so welcome, Aviatrix! And I hope you find the relief you need while enjoying your new pool. You are gonna LOVE it!!! The tricky part is getting in and out of it; I put a cement paver (a 1/5 x 1/5 ft square concrete slab) so I could step into and have a clean place to step out of my pool. Did you get a ladder for yours? I do not have one for mine, and I'm not sure a ladder would work for me anyhow!

Have fun and enjoy it. I feel so happy now! :-D
  • The hubby is suppose to get with the local company that does the installations. As for the ladder and such, the outside portion is a ladder angled around 45 degrees, and then I opted for the "wedding steps" for inside the pool! This of course lets me ease into the pool, or even just "sit" on the stairs if I choose. :-) We are going add a deck system over the next few months. If we do what my hubby describes, hehehe, we wouldn't know if it were above or below ground pool once this "deck" he has in mind is done! Getting itchy - !! Hehehehe

• Oooh the ladder you got sounds really nice, I didn't know about the wedding step feature! I'll have to check that out.

Your pool sounds like it's gonna be really nice, especially with a deck. ;-) ENJOY!
  • blackberrybunny said:
    Oooh the ladder you got sounds really nice, I didn't know about the wedding step feature! I'll have to check that out.

Your pool sounds like it's gonna be really nice, especially with a deck. ;-) ENJOY!
    Howdy Bunny,

Yeah, if you do a "Google" search, for "wedding cake steps" it should come up. They are kind of like a wedding cake shape actually. The step heights are a wee bit more than "regular" steps, so it makes good for sitting on as well as ease of getting in an out of the pool - also if *if* one of my doggies get in the pool, they can get out!

Hehehe...the deck. (G) Tis going to be fun to watch the hubby do that "honey-do" list! (EG) Thanks again for giving me that last piece of spine support info for me to finally "bend" and get a pool! *HUG*

• Awesome, Brenda!

I laid on my back and floated in my pool yesterday, meditating, just being still and focusing on my breathing, and the feeling of the sun on my skin. We are very rural and private here so I have the luxury of dipping in the buff if I choose too. ;-)

Anyhow, no pain, while in the pool. But then, when it's time to get out, oh goodness, swinging my leg over the pool, and then my other leg, hahah, I grab onto the windmill palm tree fronds that are nearby to keep my balance, hahah! I wish I could just lay in that pool and melt into the water, never to feel pain again. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
  • Well Bunny, the install guys came on Friday, and 13 hours later, the pool was filling! By around 5pm Saturday, the pool was full and I adjusted the chemicals. Sunday added a wee bit more chlorine and perfect! The hubby and I played and swam in the pool for almost 2 hours, and like you "spine heaven" for a while! I forgot what a "normal" neck and back felt like! WOW!!!!

It was also fun being with the hubby and only the hubby, no phones, computers, TV etc. We played, talked, floated, swam.....it was great!! I can't believe it took me 20 years of living in Florida to get a bloody pool! Yeehaaaa!!! Oh, gotta wear something here! Hehehehe *HUG*

Oh, yeah it did bum to "come back to the real world"... hehehe
  • Sure swimming is great exercise in all exercises. Me and my all friends goes to our nearly swimming pool and do swimming 3 or 4 time in a week. i think swimming has a large entertainment with exercise.
This discussion has been closed.