Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I gots a neckie question for you-all...

MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:43 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
How many of you had SEP (Somatosensory Evoked Potentials) done before your surgery as a baseline, and then had it used during surgery(ies)??

Haven't seen to much about this test - monitor in posts.

I had this monitoring done for my 4 level Anterior - Posterior ACDF - Laminectomy - cage - rods - grafts .... yada yada yada. (oh just look at the little picture)(revised from a failed 3 level anterior only)

Just curious as to how often this is actually done-used.

Thanks in advance for your response(s).

Spine-health Moderator
Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!

• Hey D,

My surgeon didn't use it during surgery. He stated that he has not had any good experience with them. He said that most of the people running the machines are representatives from the company and that by the time they would say something it was to late anyway. So he preferred not to rely on some machine to do what he should be seeing. I didn't even know what it was till after the third surgery, but I still walk so go figure.
  • I don't know if this is the same but a different name? Looking at my surgical notes, it says that they used a "Motor-evoked potential monitoring unit" during my surgery? I didn't have any special tests short of the norm prior or after, but this monitor was not used for my C5/6, just my C6/7 (new). If it isn't, then I guess not...but thought I would check with you just in case.

I do know they didn't have enough gel on the probes as I had double dot burns on my right and left arm, and the "scars" stayed on my right arm. Take care.

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Not sure of the name but they had a seperate group of doctors doing this. They sent a tech to attach the leads and be present during surgery. It was actually controlled and monitored by the doctors in another state. My surgeon insisted on this.