Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

EMG and CT Scan

adambaadamb Posts: 46
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:43 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I know this is a Surgery Section, I did have Lumbar Surgery L4/5 fusion and I am going in for these two tests on Monday I was wondering If anyone can let me know

1.With the EMG are you suppose to feel anything, would it be a good thing or a bad thing to feel anything? The worse the injury the more you feel or the less is what I am wondering.
2. Does anyone also know as well what are the Does and Donts prior to the test eating/drinks/pain meds (cymbalta,ultram or Hydrocodone) allowed to or not until after the tests? Any help would be great thank you
adam
advertisement

Comments

• I felt quite a few things for the EMG tests that I had. In the test they measure how fast and the amount of a signal your nerves transmit. I didn't like these tests the 4 times I've had them done over the years. You will not feel anything meaningful to you. You might feel your muscles and nerves jumping around as electrical current is applied to them. I don't remember having to stop taking any of the meds in order to take the tests. Ask the Dr. doing the test if they want meds to be held.

David
  • I think u misread what I'm having done.........not EMG's(I've had those though) I'm having Steroid injections in the lumar spine @ L-5
  • Sorry, i replied to the wrong post
  • I have had a number of these done. You will feel the small "needles" they stick into you.....not too bad, bearable. The NCV is where u will feel the "voltage" I really cant say if the "less you feel the greater the damage" or vice versa...nonetheless,its sorta an uncomfortable test but again, bearable

Paul
  • Here are some general guidelines that seem to be pretty much the same.

Tell your doctor if you:

Are taking any medicines. Certain medicines that act on the nervous system (such as muscle relaxants and anticholinergics) can change electromyogram (EMG) results. You may need to stop taking these medicines 3 to 6 days before the test.

Do not eat or drink foods that contain caffeine (such as coffee, tea, cola, and chocolate) for 2 to 3 hours before the test.

or --

Your doctor will advise you not to take any stimulant drugs, drink beverages like coffee, tea, or cola, or take any medication that has a sedating effect for at least 24 hours before the test.

You need to call your doctor's office to see what they specifically want you to do. The above I took off a couple teaching hospital websites....

advertisement