Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

had discogram today...updated with day 2...

hopeless-in-mnhhopeless-in-mn Posts: 206
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:43 AM in Lower Back Pain
And four lumbar disks have tears in them!

The surgeon also needed two control or normal disks for possible fusion, so that meant a total of six disks were tested!!!

I will give credit to the doctor doing the test, for the many injections that i have had, he was as gentle as he could be, and stopped as soon as he either saw the tear, or i reported the pain. but, with all of the scarring from the surgeries, and how tense and guarded our muscles get protecting our spines, it was one of the most painful things i have ever done.

now the wait to see what the surgeon will do with this information....4 level fusion, or ??????

--now day 2, and i must say that the pain is comparable to that of surgery! I am SO glad they sent me home with pain killers and muscle relaxers!

my goal is not to frighten anyone with this, but only to inform.

thanks to all for your support!

• I had this done also, only two tears at L4-L5 and L5-S1. They told me I need double fusion. I am 41, almost 42, and the 2 surgeons I talked to said I am too young, to wait, because it'll mean only needing more fusion later higher up, as the fusion itself, especially multi levels, put a strain on the other vetebrae. At least, that is what they told me.

The discogram WAS painful, but no worse than the pain I'd been having. Now, 13 months later, still in horrible pain, level 5 - 8 every day. On Lortabs, 4 x a day, 10 mg. not enough. I'm scared.
  • Hey there,

Just wanted to say I'm glad you had such a good doctor and that you seem like you got some answers.

I hope today finds you in less pain...
  • yes, finally, today i'm almost back to "normal" hehehe...whatever that maybe...but, as i understand it, the large amount of pain that i had, was the doc having to go through all of the prior scar tissue, and how tense my muscles are.

this is one one of the reasons why this fusion my never happen. too many prior failed surgeries/scar tissue. i also smoke, but am prepared to quit for the operation. i am also obese-but at least this doc realizes that i can't do much about it considering my current spine.

----grrrrr...hate waiting for doctors to call with results/next step in plan.

you are very brave !! if i sent you a PM it would have been something along the lines of proceed with caution regarding a multi level fusion .if you really need it doing make sure you have the best person on the job all you have to do is read the countless problem regarding fusion that are on here ..that's enough to put me off ! good luck with what ever you decide
This discussion has been closed.