Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Finally Met my Surgeon

chileroxcchilerox Posts: 69
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:43 AM in Spinal Cord Stimulation
Well, I finally went and met my surgeon on Thursday. My appointment was at 7:45 in the morning, so I tried to get as much sleep as I could Wednesday afternoon/evening since I needed to leave home at 4 (it's a 3 hour drive to Austin on a good day).

Anyway, I talked to the surgeon and his PA and I really like both of them. We talked out all of the specifics and got things sorted. I'll be getting a rechargeable medtronic. Apparently I got to pick between rechargeable/non-rechargeable. He'll put it on my left side just below my waistband, and he made a note to make sure that it goes below my tattoos and doesn't interfere with them, which I thought was awesome.

They're going to give me more painkillers and muscle relaxants after my surgery, and I'll be in the hospital for at least one night. I warned him that I've never gotten out of the hospital as soon as expected - I was in for 3 days with my appendix, and when I had my brain surgery they told me I might be in ICU overnight and in the hospital for 3 days. Well, in reality I was in ICU for three days and in the hospital for a week. It wasn't fun. Told him I figured he should know just in case it happens again this time, and he made note of it and said he was glad I told him.

My mom will be flying out and we'll spend about 3 days in Austin before coming back home. They don't like to tweak the programs until your first 2 week follow-up, so that they give things a chance to heal in place a bit. I guess that makes sense. Oh, and I found out that my leads are at T-7 and T-8.

22 days and a wakeup... I'm getting nervous, I haven't had inpatient surgery since I had my brain surgery. :-( Worst of all, I don't have any friends in Austin who can come visit me in the hospital. I only have one friend there and he's been super busy with his job. If I were having it here I'd be set, and I was excited about having friends to come see me in hospital, and then I remembered I'm not having it here.

It's not going to be that bad, right? Right? Why am I more worried about this than I was about brain surgery? Ugh.

• Relax, you will do fine. It sounds like you are in good hands.

• I met my neurosurgeon last week. He was one of the rudest people I have ever met. I left there and felt about 2 feet tall. He really would not listen to me. I am 50 years old and certainly not stupid. He says I have to get a new Mri on my back which makes sense. He thinks I could be eligible for a spinal fusion but would not operate unless I quit smoking. I know smoking is bad for you and I am certainly very addicted to it. I am from Canada and wondered how many other people have encountered this type of treatment. Thankyou for listening. Nancy
  • It sounds like you are in good hands. Fantastic.

Sorry that you have had such an unpleasant experience. Not sure if you realize it, but you posted in the Spinal Cord Stimulation forum. You might not get the interaction you are hoping for here, since many people don't read the posts unless they are interested in Spinal Cord Stimulation info. Might I suggest posting in the surgery forum.

• Yeah, I've really gotten lucky. I dealt with one crummy surgeon (that was orthopaedic, years ago) but otherwise I've managed to get mostly good ones. Dr. Paine and Dr. Hurt (neuro and ortho respectively) were both awesome. Now Dr. L seems pretty awesome too, as is his PA.

To be honest, I see so many doctors that you'd think I'd get more crummy ones than I do. I'm really glad that I don't though, maybe that's the world's way of making up for my crummy health. :-)
  • Just got a phone call, they had a cancellation and asked if I want to move my surgery from the 3rd of May to the 21st of April. I said YES! That's next week!!
  • chilerox said:
    Just got a phone call, they had a cancellation and asked if I want to move my surgery from the 3rd of May to the 21st of April. I said YES! That's next week!!
    That is always a great feeling when they call and offer you a closer time slot!
    When they needed to do my shoulder, and it was a 6 week wait, I begged to be on the list should anyone cancel. Two days later they called and moved it up by ten days.

Best wishes for an easy successful SCS!
  • I was pretty surprised! Fortunately it is still far enough out that my mom can get her plane ticket without paying through the nose. She'll fly in Tuesday, I go pick her up, and then it's off to Austin! Plus my surgery is going to be two hours earlier than it was scheduled for before, which will be good - I hate having surgery in the afternoon.