Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Well, that tears it!

annewrigaannewrig Posts: 39
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:43 AM in Chronic Pain
Okay, so although I don't post very often, I just needed a moment to vent. I have been dealing with LBP stemming from what used to be a herniated L5-S1 that has disintegrated into no disc left. I have issues that refer down my right leg which aches all the time and is pretty weak compared to the left. So, I manage to deal with these issues pretty well on a regular basis...until today.

I got up this morning and as per my usual routine, got to the steps where I always hesitate. I have to hold on tight and lead with my good(left) leg. As I stepped down I felt a pop in my left knee and down I went. It hurt so bad and I couldn't straighten my leg out fully or bend it very far, so off I went to the ER. Thankfully, no broken bones. They gave me the name of a knee Ortho wrapped it and offered me a walker. I declined the walker and told them I had a cane at home that I could try to use, but now I am scared what is going to happen over the next couple of days. I am icing and resting, but I have to go to work on Monday, and now I am left without a good leg to stand on!

Of course this comes just as it is getting nice enough to be outside and walking on a regular basis which really does help my back pain so much. I just pray that I have seriously done damage. If it's not any better on Monday will have to call the new doc. If you got this far, thanks for reading and I certainly hope your day is better than mine! Take care!

• Oh goodness...I am so sorry you are hurting.
    I would make an urgent appt with your doctor. PT is critical to keeping yourself in balance.

I don't know what to suggest. If you hadn't gotten hurt, I'd say the rule is up the stairs, lead with strong leg; down the stairs, lead with weak leg is what I was taught.

Is it any better now? Were you able to walk out of the hospital? I would elevate it a little too by putting a pillow or 2 under the back of your knee.

I hope the ice and wrap helps keeps the inflammation down.

• Oh, UGH! I have an ouchie knee too, and when the knee goes it makes things SO much harder! Yours sounds really really ouchie.

I wonder if you could get a brace for it?

I hope the ortho doesn't find any damage and it all feels better in a few days! >:D<
  • I really appreciate your concern and comments. It doesn't seem to be any better and now my right side is aching pretty bad just from the extra weight I am putting on it. I have been keeping it elevated and ice on it on a regular basis since getting home this morning, and I will call the doctor on Monday if no better. I can put some weight on it but not much.

I am always afraid to lead with my right leg going down the stairs as it constantly feels like it will give out on me. Thanks again for your thoughts, I really do appreciate them!

• Thanks HappyHBMom for your thoughts as well. It is now four days later and while I am able to put weight on my leg and use it, I cannot bend it very far without pain. It also feels like it will only bend so far and then it refuses to go further. I haven't made an appointment with the knee ortho yet as I am holding out hope that it will improve!! If it is not better by next Monday I think I will be calling.

It is however impacting my back and right leg and making it extra sore by the end of the day. I feel lucky though because I have been able to make it to work but I am so tired and achy by the time I get home that not much else is getting done.

It is amazing to me the balancing act that we do in order to cope and make it through most days, and it really stinks when another wrench in thrown in the mix. Hope you all are having a nice day!

This discussion has been closed.