Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hi- my name is John and Ive had chronic pain for 5 years

csctherapyccsctherapy Posts: 3
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:43 AM in New Member Introductions

Its nice to be connected with others who are going through similar things! Im a 41 year old psychologist who started having severe headaches in 1994-5, then in 1997 my right leg went numb and Ive had daily, chronic l4-l5 pain (I hit 8 on my pain scale several times a day0. Despite XLIF minimally invasive fusion and positive discogram, the 6 surgeons I consulted state that theres "nothing they can fix". pain management is getting very old. Any support/ideas would be great!

• Hi John!Could you explain a bit more about the surgeons saying there is nothing they can do? After the fusion has failed? Or what?Glad you found us!Jeannie
  • Thank you so much- i just wrote a long message and it got lost- now the pains up again, so i must be brief--thanks in advance for any feedback, support you may have. MRIs dont show any significant abnormailty now ("everythings in place and hardware looks good")-- they say that going in would be just more detrimental. They recommend just pain management and spinal stim (my concern is that it wouldnt work much better than my personal TENS and may mask problems which would make my situation worse...also, id love yto have input on how to address people who constantly ask for "updates" and also dont want to hear any bad news?
    this sucks
    thanks again for your ear

• Hi John,

First let me say welcome to spine-health. Have a look around and you will find many going through or whom have gone through what you are. The biggest part of dealing with chronic pain is excepting it as part of the new you. I find that the most difficult process of all. In your situation where the stimulator may be of some value, you may find our spinal cord stimulator forum very valuable to yourself. Also check out the forum on low back pain as there maybe something in that section you haven't tried. Also have they tried to block out your hardware with injection to see if it could be the source of your pain? What types of meds do you currently take? When was your last set of films? What type of doctor are you under the care of now?

Anyway just thought I would stop by and welcome you to spine-health. Take care and look forward to reading more of your post.
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i so hope finding like minded individuals, suffering as you are, will open up a new window for you, new friends and lots of information.. :D i am sorry to read that you are in pain daily. a good regiment of pain medications can often make a big difference. if you aren't using any, perhaps talking to your doctor would be of benefit. :-C good luck and stop by anytime. Jenny :)