Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

General Re-conditioning when pain is controlled.

Lala329LLala329 Posts: 283
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:43 AM in Chronic Pain
I was wondering if anyone has ever done any type of just general re-conditioning physical therapy?

I *never* thought I'd be asking my doctor about more PT because I feel like I practically have a degree in it after years of doctors continually encouraging me that PT would help. But, they've got my pain levels much better controlled now after a series of TrP injections and ESIs, and I'm realizing just how deconditioned I've gotten. I'm actually struggling through a hamstring injury right now from some over aggressive PT and the fact that my body is just not very sturdy anymore. I also realize that this window of feeling better may not last, so I feel like I need to do what I can while my pain level is controlled.

I'm very vigilant about doing my low back PT at home, but I feel like targeting just one body part is setting me up for more injuries (like this hamstring) since the rest of my body parts are now deconditioned. My individual efforts to re-strengthen are falling flat because my main exercise (after pain) has always been walking and swimming, and both of those seem to be perpetuating my hamstring pain.

I feel like every time I move something else is going to break because I'm just not strong anymore. I'm incredibly frustrated to now feel like I'm limited by hamstring pain during this time when my back is doing a bit better. I don't even know if they have any type of PT or anything that can focus just on getting stronger in general rather than rehabbing a specific body part.

Has anyone else had any success digging themselves out of the total body deconditioning rut?

• Yeah, I'm with ya! I was wondering about something like guided Pilates, but it would have to be with a PT who knows about back injuries, because there are so many things I can not do.

Let us know what you find out!
  • I'm in the same boat. I've been doing PT for a couple of weeks now and I seem to be in more pain now than I was before. It's not just muscle soreness from working the muscles, it's lower back pain and stiffness that I haven't experienced before.

My PT guy said he's put me on the fast track because we have a lot to accomplish in six weeks, like evaluating my neck and getting my golf swing going so I can golf. My desire to golf this year might be compromising my conditioning. I just don't know.

I thought I'd be able to do more by now, but things aren't going that way and I'm getting frustrated.

So, I have no answers for you, just commiserating.

• Guided PT. I am doing that now. I'm done regular PT with the exception of 1 session that will be to test muscles and nerves.

I have 6 sessions of 1 on 1 PT doing Pilates. She is nationally certified, trained in PT, and several other things. She used to do their group Pilates classes. Now all she does is rehab training 1 on 1. She is giving me homework with printouts to remind me how to do it.

Check with your insurance as some won't cover this. I was told the ones that do will cover 6 sessions with no problems. Beyond that, not so much. This office also offers some package deal at much better rate for people to do out of pocket. Not really any more costly than joining a gym.

She also has access to a good range of equipment. We've been doing some interesting stretching exercises to loosen my hamstrings and calves. Apparently a common issue with lower back patients. I've done 2 sessions and so far so good. I actually leave there feeling better than when I went in. She's already got my back loosening up. Which she feels is as much hamstrings as possibly scar tissue.

• Thanks for the feedback. Glad I'm not the only one feeling like this. Z06- thanks for the guided pilates idea! I was able to find a spine PT who is also certified in yoga, so my plan is to work with her once I get through this acute hamstring injury for some general re-conditioning through yoga. The goal is ultimately to ditch my lumbar stabilization exercises (which currently take about an hour) and replace it with a shorter yoga series that focuses not only on core strenth but also more the entire body so hopefully I won't be so injury prone. I never knew they even had such a thing, so I'm pretty excited to try some new PT that can get my whole body stronger rather than just trying to 'fix' my back.

Groan, now I just have to get through the regular PT to hopefully knock out this hamstring issue.
This discussion has been closed.