Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Cymbalta for nerve pain

mrredmmrred Posts: 12
Does anybody have any recent experience with Cymbalta for nerve pain? How long before is started to work, or did it work at all? Were there any side effects? Thanks!

• There are many here whom have tried and use cymbalta including myself. I have been on it sense August of 07. I currently use 120 mg per day or 2 x 60 mg pills. I will admit when I first went on the drug it took sometime to get used to. They can start the doses off low to get past any side effects. For myself the worst was the dreams, but over sometime the side effects got better and we increased the dosage. If you should encounter side effects, that you try to work with the med, as long as they are not life threatening side effects, such as a, allergic reaction. As far as how much does the med help the nerve pain? That answer at this point and time would be hard to say sense I have several nerve compressions and some permanent damage. But when I started using cymbalta it did help with the permanent nerve damage. Honestly I would be concerned what pain is really under the med. So for me for now it is still a keep med, but everyone is different.
  • I take Cymbalta and it does help with my leg pain. I'm not sure how long it was before it started to work as I've been on it for over a year. Some people have had side effects and your Dr. will monitor any side effects you have if any. It's really helped reduce the pain and tingling and numbness in my leg though not entirely.I hope it works for you. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Hi mrred,
    I also take cymbalta for nerve pain as well as depression. I've been on it 60mgs/day for years for depression and my pain mgmt doc increased to 60mgs 2x/day to help with the nerve pain. I still have the nerve pain as I have 2 broken screws pushing on the S1 nerve which causes the sciatic pain down my legs so I can't tell if the cymbalta is working. I guess I will have to wait and see after surgery if it works. The screws won't be pushing on the nerves at that point but I may have the nerve pain for a bit cuz it's been pushing on the nerve for almost 2yrs.

If cymbalta doesn't seem to help you could check with you doc about trying lyrica or gabapentin (generic for nerontin). I tried both and had differnt experiences with both. Everyone seems to react differently to these meds though so you will have to give it time to see if it works before trying something else. I always gave a new med 2 months as long as I wasn't having any major side affects or allergic reaction.

Keep us informed on how you are doing.
  • for the responses. I was on Lyrica for a month but had some GI problems with it and it didn't do much for the pain. I was hungry constantly but beside that, it was like taking a placebo.

My NS put me on 30mg of Cymbalta for a week and startng tomorrow I'll take 60 mg each day. There was a little less pain in my foot after the first few days but the meds make me fatigued during the day and I keep me awake at night.

I'm still concerned what sort of real pain the Cymbalta is masking so I'm heading in for an MRI next Friday.

Thanks again!
  • I have been on Cymbalta now for about 3 weeks 2X 30mg a day for never pain in my neck due to arthritis and bone spurs, I also just had a cervical epidural (not the first) to get some immediate releif. I'm trying to avoid surgery. I am not getting any result yet from the Cymbalta and I'm wondering what the typical wait time is for this work begin to work. I've tried so many different medications with no result or bad side effects. I was having insomnia at first but now take it at 6 and 6 and that seems to help with the insomnia. I guess I'm hoping that in time I will get some relief from the Cymbalta.