Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

My turn to be nervous

Kris-NYKKris-NY Posts: 2,207
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:43 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Three months after my surgery and I have been feeling great....until last week. I started feeling some muscle pull pain. Alot like what I felt when the staples came out at 2 weeks. It's not constant and I haven't been able to tie it to any specific activity. Like right now I'm sitting in my high back computer chair and it aches right across my shoulders but focusing at the incision in the center.

It's only been a few days and it isn't that bad so I know it's too early to call the surgeon. I did miss PT last week because of other appointments but he was close to saying I was done with PT anyway. I'm thinking of going tomorrow to see what happens.

And then this morning out of no where I get a sharp pain at the back of my foot. I think I have been reading too many posts about leg and foot problems lately - lol.

I want to be young and healthy again....:(

• j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    Good luck on your PT. appointment tomorrow. I hope it turns out to be nothing that a little more PT. can't fix!
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • I think we all get a little paranoid when it comes to any new twinge. I have heard that different areas of a surgery heal at different rates, so it is normal to have a little pain in new places on a fairly regular basis.

Also as you heal, the muscles will continue to balance and rebalance in new ways. It is kind of a continual process, and when one gets stronger, it may shift a center of balance ever so slightly. The more I get into this balance thing, the more I realize how finely tuned a healthy body is...and how little it can take to throw everything out of whack.

Are you able to lie flat on the floor? Have you seen my traction exercise in some of my posts to others? Whenever I start feeling tight across my shoulders, I always get down on the floor into this traction position and just lie there for no longer than 5 minutes. It really helps me to realign my spine. It also allows any soft tissue that may be guarding the healing area to let go if it is contracted. Let me know if you haven't seen it and/or would like to know more....

• Thinking of you and sorry you are having some difficulties. Hopefully, it will just turn out to be part of the normal healing process.

I'll be thinking of you! We're here for you! Shari
  • Kris you're note alone on that.

I'm 5 months post-op. Rarely take any meds, doing my PT, walking lots, eating healthier, not smoking for a long time. You get the picture. Trying to be a good boy and do right. While I'd like to be young again I'm thinking my PT is not going to make that happen ;-)

I get calf and hamstring tightness. Some of my back pain is scar tissue and some muscles and nerves. I was getting some pain in the back of my leg like I used too. PT changed one of my exercises and added one to help remove that. It worked. Part of what causes it is the recovery process. The other part is sitting too long. I just get on a roll at work and forget to get up. Then I get an unpleasant reminder to do so.

It does make you nervous. You start wondering if things are going south. Did you do something really wrong. Take a deep breath, regroup, move on. If it is bothering you then call that surgeon.