Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Severe pain after surgery

sackcc6ssackcc6 Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:43 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi I had surgery on the 23rd of March for my L5-S1 disk and ever since i walked out of the hospital i thought that maybe my shoe was on too tight cause my foot was numb, I took off my shoe and it did not go away it has only gotten worse and moved up to the back of my calf, thigh, and but all on my left side and the weired thing was before the surgery all the pain was on my right side. I told my Dr. and he ordered an MRI and it showed a sack of fluid but nothing to be worried about well it is worring me i can not function i can barley walk the pain is worse than before i went in and i keep loosing more and more feeling as the days go by, They have tried steroids and they have tried an anti-seisure medication and nothing is working i can not get any answers from anyone including MY DR, i can not handle this i have four kids and went into this surgery cause i could not and did not have the time to be in pain and imobile. All i know is i am sick of being in pain and not getting any answers. Please someone help me figure someting out. Thnak you Cynthia

• I'm so sorry to hear you are having such problems after surgery. Maybe a switch over to a nerve pain medicine such as Lyrica would help. This sack of fluid sounds like an inflammation reaction and should calm down soon. If things don't improve, I would insist your surgeon help you.

Best wishes,

• I am so sorry to hear about this complication. I wish I could offer you more information but I will be praying for you and that you will start feeling better instead of worse.

What type of surgery did you have?

• I had alot of fluid buildup after my surgery. The physical therapist was able to massage it away. By doing deep tissue (it hurts when they do it alittle) they force the fluid to move around so it gets reabsorbed by your body.

Also this may sound silly but lots of water will help flush your body. As the fluid reabsorbs it will flush through your organs and out. Some extra water will help.

Good Luck
  • Maybe ask the surgeon to drain the sack of fluid. Sometimes they pull the back drain to early in a effort to get you out of the hospital and a build up of fluid can result.

• hi i have a sack and they dont seem to be worried about it but i have had to start going to pain mang for injection they said that maybe the sack was putting preasure they dont know qiet what to do with it i also had pain on the oppsite side he might have taken scaring out they did on me hope everything works out for you do not do any lifting or you will really hurt yourself take good care of youself there is only one of you and 4 that you care for takes a long time to heal slow process
  • I'm sorry you're having these issues after your surgery. I haven't had surgery but perhaps your Dr. is planning to send you to Physiotherapy after to help. I would also ask about seeing a Pain Management Dr. at your Primary Dr. or Surgeon. Perhaps your Primary Dr. may want to run more tests on your leg. Even though it's a microsurgery it's still a major operation for the spine and may take awhile with Physio and the sac of fluid to dissipate. I also agree with Kris that drinking at least a quart of water a day to help. I hope you're feeling better soon in your recovery. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Hello Cynthia,

I am sorry to read that you are going through this trying time in your recovery. It is EXTREMELY important to also note to yourself that you are still very, very early in your recovery and that the odds are with you regarding having a positive resolution to your pain/inflammation. From the sounds of it, you seem both exasperated and impatient that you are not feeling much better just 4 weeks post-op. You must prepare yourself for an attitude adjustment. I had my second discectomy/laminectomy at the beginning of November and I had post-op leg & nerve pain so serious I actually went to my hospital and waited, standing up, for 2 hours for a resident neurosurgeon to look at me. There was swelling and SERIOUS nerve pain that I had never experienced pre-op. The surgeon put me on Celebrex and Lyrica and, slowly, I started to get better and better. I started with a wonderful physiotherapist and her help has been invaluable. I am now 6 months out and haven't felt this good in 11 years. I'm off the Celebrex and take Lyrica daily but in lower doses. Remember that Lyrica and other drugs like Neurontin take time (days) to reach their full effect and you must take them as prescribed in order to benefit from them.

I would recommend that you do 2 things, if you can: Take it easy and get committed to rehabbing yourself. Sounds like you've got lots on your plate at home but if you do not take good care of yourself now and over the next few months, you will most assuredly pay for it in the future.

Best of luck and I do hope that this is just a blip on the road to a great recovery.

• dont recomend i almost lost all my eyesight from it. its one of the main side effects, i wear glasses now and never needeed them before be careful with this stuff