Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Update at 4 weeks

steve withrowssteve withrow Posts: 70
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:43 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Well , its been 4 weeks today for my TLIF at L5/S1 with instruments . Staples are out ( 2 weeks ago ) I am off the Oxycontin , and maybe 3 to 5 percs a day . I went and bought 2 recliners last Friday so now I spend alot of time in the front room which is very nice . I can drive and shop now which is really nice . Mornings are still alittle rough but nothing like 2 weeks ago . I can take the garbage out and load the dishwasher . I still wont pick up any thing heavy and it is still hard to bend over . But I tell you what , I am just amazed that I have came this far in 2 weeks . 2 weeks ago I couldn't hardly get out of bed . I stll use my grabber for alot of things ( I like it ) . The only set back I had is when I had my friend move all my stuff from the bedroom to the front and I hooked every thing back up , we spent about 3 hours with this . The next 2 days I felt as I ran up and down a mountain , my legs hurt soooo bad ( Muscles ) But maybe that's a good thing . So all in all , I am very pleased so far , I know have a long way to go , but I look forward to the challenge .

• j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    That's a verry fast recovery! good for you! Take it slow and don't have any back pedaling!
    Good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • Good to hear you are doing well. It is such a relief when you can get out and about back in the real world. Glad to hear you are decreasing the meds. I still remember reading your first post and seeing all the meds you were on and thought thats more than alot of my cancer patients are on!! Be careful and listen to your body for your activity. Lynette
  • lynette said:
    Good to hear you are doing well. It is such a relief when you can get out and about back in the real world. Glad to hear you are decreasing the meds. I still remember reading your first post and seeing all the meds you were on and thought thats more than alot of my cancer patients are on!! Be careful and listen to your body for your activity. Lynette
    Oh yea , when I got home I hurt so much , I just took the meds like I did at the hospital....called the doctor shortly after and he said to stop , and I did . I am not to familiar with these meds , well today I am...I will be the 1st to admit , I was taking more then I should , but I didnt know any better at the time..I just didnt want to hurt like I did...
  • Steve,

I am happy to see you're doing so well. Keep up the good work and DON'T over do it!!

Best Wishes,
  • Good to hear you are doing so well. Rmember you still need to take it easy and take care of yourself.
  • I wanna know how your loading the dishwasher Without bending over..lol..I load the top rack then have to wait until my husband loads the bottom one and puts in the soap. I would have to bend over to load the bottom rack.
  • I also loaded the dishwasher while I was recovering by squatting down. I bent down with each dish and felt that at least I was getting some exercise on my thigh muscles while doing this.

I found that I could do a lot of things by squatting down, but was very strict with myself when it came to bending, lifting and twisting. I guess where there's a will there's a way.

• so glad to hear you are doing so well! Hang in there! It's a long journey!

I know, I have been told many, many times to not over do it! Well, it was bound to happen! I did over do it by walking sooo much. Exercise has always been the way to clear my head and I love the endorphines! I didn't listen to my body, instead wanted to carry out my plan....and it was too much. It takes so long to recover when you push too hard! But, it probably happens to everyone, atleast once. It's a fine line!

Hang in there! walk, rest, rest,walk. Take care Shari
  • YOU GUYS ROCK.....!!!!! Yes , to load the dish washer I squat , I should go for more walks though , I don't know if walking around my apartment all day counts...
  • Walking around your appartment is good but there is nothing like being outside, especially if the air is fresh and the sun is shining.
    It makes you feel you are part of the world again!
  • It is so true, walking outside at this time of year is such a blessing. The walls of the house start to close in around me, so out the door I go!

The smell of the spring flowers and the moderate temperatures are so refreshing! I always feel so much better after I come back from a walk.

I have lived in my neighborhood for about the past 13 years and there are so many things I haven't noticed. :) the beauty of the homes and the lovely yards and gardens.

I try to walk a mile on M,W,F in addition to PT. On the other days, I try to walk twice a day, 1 mile each time. I was so bad before my surgery~could barely walk, couldn't work/shop/help in the house. So, it is awesome to be able to be outside, getting some exercise and walk.

Hope you have a great day with minimal pain! Shari
  • Hey fellow spineys,

Prior to my current problems I too was up to walking 1 mile, sometimes twice a day. But since my pain has returned with a vengence, I am walking around the block. And walking my dogs at various intervals. Walking very far is too painful. I love being outside in the springtime. Between the walking and the PT, I am so sore. I am hoping this helps but I have not seen any improvement. Sigh.

Steve walking anywhere is a good thing. If all you feel like doing is in your apartment, then keep it up. Longer walks will start calling when you are ready.

Best Wishes,
  • Today I picked up an M & M off the floor ,I actually bent over and picked it up..I stood there holding it in my hand and just about cried , not that it hurt , Its the first time I did that since surgery . Only spinys would understand what I was feeling...It was a crocked type of bending , but I did it..No pain...
  • I can totally understand how good it must feel to be able to pick something up off the floor, but you are still very early on in your recovery.
    Do be careful!

You are well on your way back to the good life :-)