Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

overtaxed muscles arms/legs

jasrojjasro Posts: 224
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:43 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I have an appt with a new neuro April 30. Old neuro last seen March 2009.

Since Feb. 2010 I've been experiencing severely overtaxed muscles in both arms and legs - worse on left side - where the moderately severe cervical problems are. The overtaxing is no longer episodic (moderate days, bad days) it's is now constant. It's scaring me because I can't find a good definition anywhere of myelopathy, myelitis, etc. that would calm my mind as to what's going on.

By "overtaxed", I mean that my muscles work normally for "minutes" and then they're worn out and shaking from any further effort. I'm usually not very active during the winter due to body pain from Fibromalgia but had good medications this winter....so was able to spend much less time laid up in bed. I shouldn't be this weak.

I get scared sometimes and have put a hard cervical collar on for pain relief - but after wearing in 1/2 hour then taking it off, my neck (throat area) goes completely numb and it spreads up into my face. It lasts about an hour. I don't know if I should just wear it until I see the neuro to protect myself or not.

If I press really hard on the constant muscle spasm in my neck, then my lower lip reacts by moving/jumping uncontrollably. I don't understand what's happening.

If I try to stretch my left arm to relieve the neck muscles, I get horrific pain that shoots down my arm. Boy howdy, I mean HORRIFIC.

Can anyone share their experience with something like this? Is this how paralysis starts? Should I wear the collar or keep it off? I've got two weeks until I see the neuro and could really use some advice.

Thanks so much to anyone willing to respond.

• it must be too many spasms & I need to find a heated pool.

Just saying!
  • Get yourself to a remedial masseuse immediately, and I think you will get enormous relief.
    Our poor muscles work hard and are usually overlooked as a cause of pain, but they are right up there at the top of the list.
    Avoid computer use, especially laptop, as much as you can.
    Have a 40 minute massage frequently for ongoing good health.