Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Ya know, I thought I couldn't take anymore! But we all can....

kathyykkathyy Posts: 580
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:43 AM in Pain Management
I mean this to be encouragement. Not a complaint. I am an occasional "poster" and had a PLIF with laminectomy and removal of a medically "huge" synovial cyst that was strangling my spinal cord. All this was done almost 2 years ago. Since then, I've had 6 esi's and a radio frequency ablation. Like many if not most of us, I try daily to adapt to a life of pain and drugs.

And then........I recently broke my foot so badly (probably due to clumsiness that drugs didn't help) that at 58 years old I had to have surgery and pins to put me together again. Since then I've been on crutches, working daily (my hub and I own a business) and having to climb stairs. Not great for the back. In fact, awful.

So, the moral to this story is not about sympathy. It's about the amazing fortitude that I feel priveleged (sp?) to read about when I read so many of the stories from people on this forum. Whenever I begin to feel sorry for myself I spend a little time reading all the recent posts.

We all have to keep a positive attitude regardless... Not easy to do but positive attitudes help so much. Don't mean to be "preachy" but supportive. Pain is awful when you focus on it but maybe a little easier to deal with when we focus on the positive.

In closing...my next door neighbor is a lady who is just mid forties. 8 months ago she was diagnosed with "ALF." I think that's what it's called - "Lou Gehrig's disease." She is being treated at Emory in Atlanta and in the past 2 months has had to put her house for sale and arrange for nursing care. I have begun sharing food with her (I already cook for 2 so adding one is nothing) and trying to help her and ya know what???? I don't quite notice the pain as much.

Thank you all for your sharing. I gain strength when I read about what you deal with. You are all amazing people with grit and determination.

• That's what I like about you. You're one strong person to have your leg broken and still have to deal with chronic pain and work on top of that. As well as help out your neighbor with ALS. Keep up that positive attitude as it gives me more hope to keep going on with a purpose and goal to get better. Take care and prayers you heal. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Nice to hear from you. I was thinking about you, wondering how you were faring? Very sorry to hear about your foot. And your neighbor. We never have to look far to find someone worse off, do we? You are kind to take food to her...and to write and remind us all that regardless of our individual stores, we all still have blessings to count.

Don't be a stranger. We miss you!!

• What a beautiful post! Thank you for taking the time! So motivating.

I too broke my foot before my surgery 2 years ago. I had drop foot, but was in denial...could you have a walking cast so that you don't have to use crutches?

How thoughtful and compassionate to cook for your neighbor.It does help to distract from the pain!

Praying for your complete recovery with decreased pain! Shari
  • I was involved in an accident when I was a pre-teen that has resulted in arthritis in my spine along with denerative disc desease. I've already had fusion surgery in my neck and now am told that I need the same on the lower three discs in my lower back.
    My concern from reading all the comments on this site is whether I should in fact do this.
    It seems that although there are definetly pro's there are con's that I've not considered simply because I am so miserable at this point.
    I was told that I would have to wear my brace for 6 months, could not drive myself during that period and there are risks of complications. Also, call me
    vain but can you wipe yourself are do you have to depend on someone?
  • Kathy,

Thanks for the post. It is always good to remind us that there are others worse off than we can imagine. It does help to focus on someone other than ourselves. You are truly kind to be helping your neighbor. I wish you and her the best.

• Check out the pre-surgery checklist for things you may need when you have surgery. It details something called a bottom buddy tongs that help you out there. Most likely you may need to have someone home with you a few days but I've seen folks here who have managed on their own. surgery must haves http://www.spine-health.com/forum/back-surgery-and-neck-surgery/post-op-must-haves-0?page=2

Best wishes. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Wow, after reading your history I realize I have more to be thankful for than I thought.

This brace that you wear after surgery, can you remove it for showers?
  • I haven't had surgery yet. But it depends on your Dr. many people wear their brace in the shower and their partner removes it and you lay on the bed while your partner dries it off. I don't think you need to wear it in bed but since I haven't had surgery I don't kow so maybe someone else could help you with this answer. Maybe start a new post to get more answers. Column on the left and create content for your post. Good luck. Charry
  • Good Morning!
    I just have to thank you for putting a much needed smile on my face this morning! Your attitude is inspiring and has given me cause to think also of all the blessings in my life! I am so blessed to be able to hear the laughter of my grandchildren, to see the beautiful faces of those I love and the beauties of nature, to enjoy the company of good friends and to be able to move as well as I can. I am especially blessed by my best friend...she suffers from MS, and is very ill yet she spend all her time helping me! Her selfness and compassion fill me with awe and her giving nature is so inspiring. Although she is married with 2 young children she does all she can to help take care of me! I am filled with thankfulness. I am blessed to be able to surround myself with my grandchildren...my reason for keeping on. The smiles on their little faces...the joy they have as they discover each new thing is a constant reminder of the hope that I have for my next generation. I will spend my life (with what time I have left)loving and learning from those around me that live each day to the fullest! Again, I thank you for the reminder of all I have to be thankful for! God bless you!