Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

MScontin vs Durgesic patch

MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:43 AM in Pain Medications
Any one out there switch from MScontin to Duragesic patches?

How did they compare?

I am considering a switcheroo.

Thoughts? Experience?

Spine-health Moderator
Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!

• Hi Metalneck,

I think you are talking about the fentanyl patch. I have not switched from MScontin to it, but I did switch from vicodin to it. Don't laugh if they are the same- LOL. I just wanted to tell you that I have had the best pain relief that I have ever had with the fentanyl patch.(not everyone has) I like not having to take pills all the time or worry about the time or clock. I also like getting steady pain relief without the highs and lows of waiting for the last dreaded 2 hours to go by before you can take another pill for pain relief. I also like that when I get on a normal sleeping pattern, that pain doesn't wake me up( unless I am flared-up & in need of break through meds) I would say that it made me very, very drowzy at first. I feel that it was worth it to me to get out of bed ridden pain. I have been on it since October- 2008, and I am way over due for an increase in dosage. I am trying very hard not to increase at all. I have been told that you usually don't last this long on the initial dose, but my goal is to get off of strong meds. I now take vicodin for break through pain- only when I need to.
    The only other issue I have had is that with some brands I need tegaderms to cover them to shower. I was getting them for free from the pain clinc. The nurses were very nice and giving me a handful each month. The other brand that doesn't need a cover has stronger adhesive & leaves adhesive residue. I figure this is no comparison to PAIN. I must give credit to the patch for getting me out of bed and into warm, aqua- pool therapy. This has been the most successful form of physical therapy that I have ever experienced. I know this was long- sorry-, but I hope that it helps you in some way! Good Luck Metalneck- from one neckie to another!!

Good Luck with any medications that work for you and help you!!

glo :)
  • i switched to the patch and did not find it strong enough but did like the delivery system a lot better than taking medication.. too bad that doesn't work for all medications! i say try it! you may like the delivery system better as well and it may offer you plenty of pain relief. good luck! :D Jenny :)
  • MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
    Somehow my pharmacy has given me some kinda super cash discount for the entire year. That means the meds the were financially out of reach (like patches at $300+ for ten)are a possibility now.

I will TT my doc and see what he thinks. I also hate the time v.s. effectivness factor of all the pills I take as I'm up to about 8 different meds everyday now. Nuttin like a handful of pain pills first thing in the morning before you can move about without sreaming!

Regards and thanks,

Spine-health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!

• oxycontin to duragesic patch. I started on 32mcg but was in so much pain I could barely move, was in tears constantly and had to use my walking stick to get around.
    I got increased to 75mcg which was a definite improvement but I was still on the maximum of endone and pan forte to cope with the pain. I have just been increased to 100mcg and it's fantastic, there are some days where I don't need any breakthrough pain until the evening which is fantastic for me as it breaks that psychological need to take a tablet.
    I say give it a try as it definitely works for me, I was on oxycontin for 3 years and the doctor at the pain clinic says that your body can get too used to the one drug and it becomes less effective.
  • Hi!

Just wanted to add in that for me, it took almost a week for the patch to catch up to my meds and then I had the same results as glo...I felt almost normal. I could get up and go easier and the constant pain was so much less. My blood pressure went down some and I was able to concentrate better and not be a ball of anxiety. I've had posterior cervical fusion C4-6 a month ago and am still having trouble getting back to that constant relief feeling. I was started on the 25mcg/hr and wonder if I'm going to need an increase for a short while.

They do also get you back to a better sleep pattern. Before, I had trouble staying asleep for longer than a couple of hours, now I'm sleeping for about 5 to 6 hours at night.

Good luck if you do switch. The name brand is very expensive, but I've also tried the Watson brand and they are good too and less $$$.

• I am presently on 150 mcr Fentanyl Patch every 48 hours n Doc wants to switch to MS Contin. I have Degenerative Disc Disease at Lumbar Region and Ruptured Disc at L5. Been living like this for 15 years and am with new pain management Doc and he wants to make switch. Anyone have similar circumstances?
    Thank You,