Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

4 level lumbar check up not so good.

motelman99mmotelman99 Posts: 122
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:43 AM in Recovering from Surgery
i did post on back & neck surgery but i deleted it and though i would try here.went in for my 5 mo check up and when the dr came in after looking at my xrays he said it slipped.i guess he meant my hardware.said well wait and see if it slips anymore.has this happen to anyone here? having alot of pain.hate thinking of another surgery.

• Where was this surgery? Are you wearing a brace? What kind of symptoms are you having? You are probably wishing you had asked more questions at the appointment. "Slipped" could mean several different things.

Any time there is instability after surgery, there can be a lot of pain as a result.

How long is your surgeon proposing you "wait" to see what will happen??
  • hi gwennie17, my fusion was L-3-4-5 s-1. not wearing a brace now i did for the first 3 mo.my pain is all across my lower back and left leg pain and numbness.my pain level went from a 5-6 to a 7-8 the last 2 mos.yes i wish i would of ask more questions but at the time he told me he went right in about giving me different meds.and i had another appointment i was thinking about.my left thyroid is giving me problmes.already have the right one out.i had it in my head that i had cancer.but i don't.my back dr saw this on a xray so would an mri be any better? about waiting i don't know he didn't say.....................i'm writing this after taking my new meds together so hope this make sents.
  • I would want to know more about what he means by "slipping." What kind of hardware do you have for this fusion? Did he go in from the back or the front or...?? Did you have any falls, crashes, etc. that might have caused an impact incident since your surgery?

It just doesn't make that much sense to me. Hardware is designed to withstand quite a bit of impact at the beginning while the bones are fusing. Sometimes a screw can break or come loose.

I'm a little surprised he didn't want you back in the brace to provide more support if he thinks the hardware is failing. If I were in your shoes, I would make another appointment and go back in with a list of questions. At six months along, the patient will still have pain, to some extent anyway, but I think one has a good idea if things are progressing or maybe going backwards. I think by six months it is time to start looking for some reasons for that pain and what can be done about it.

Yes, X-Ray is used to check for the positioning of hardware, whether there are signs of fusion, etc. Did you have a flexion-extension X-ray?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm just trying to understand what's going on a little bit better. I'm glad you don't have cancer. No wonder you were distracted.

Take care,
  • Hi there,

Sorry to hear that you are starting to have problems after such a positive few months. Now that you've had time, why not call the doctor back on Monday? I've done that before because often times when I go in, I think "oh, ok, that makes sense" and then I come up with all my good questions after I leave.

Are you meds helping the pain?
  • i did call the dr today and the dr assitance will have him call me back. will ask what kind of hardware i have. he went in from the back.no falls or crashes.i have helped my wife with house work but nothing real hard.i do have a list of questions for the dr.it hurts the worse in bed,i can't turn over.also can only walk about 2 blocks before it hurts to bad and i go back home.yes i had a flexion-xray.thinking back about when the dr said it just slipped a little like it was not really a very big deal.i;m very worried and can't wait till the dr calls.will write when dr calls me.