Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Scared Newbie

KrazishyoneKKrazishyone Posts: 6
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:43 AM in New Member Introductions
So glad I found this site, I will be having my neck fused May 27th, I haven't gotten it all clear in my head yet, since I met with surgeon to have back fused, He asked questions, had more tests ran, and Now I am having my neck fused, back at a later date...I am scared chitless....
I will post more, but just wanted to say HI , look forward to hearing ALL pros & cons.........

• Best wishes for your upcoming surgery. I haven't had surgery but here's a great list for post surgery must haves. http://www.spine-health.com/forum/back-surgery-and-neck-surgery/post-op-must-haves-0 A lot of the list is for lumbar but still has a lot of info for neck surgeries. Take care. Hopefully others will be along to give their personal experiences. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Well the pros are that your doc will stabilize the situation and possibly reduce some pain while helping to avert further damage. The cons are that all surgery presents a risk and you have to be willing to take the good with the bad. Trust in your surgeon is paramount and goes a long way towards a positive outcome. If you've done your home work, feel confident you've made the right decision, then the hardest part will just be the waiting.

Welcome to Spine Health.

• Welcome to Spine-Health. You'll find a lot of information throughout this site and the members are very friendly, knowledgeable and supportive.

I'm assuming that you're going to have an ACDF (anterior cervical discoctomy and fusion). I had a 3-lvl ACDF (C4-7) in Oct. 2008 and consider mine a success, although I still have movement at C6/7. The only issue with that at this point is that I have some lower neck pain and continued muscle spasms. That's the hardest level to fuse as it moves every time your head moves.

I understand how scary it is facing the prospect of cervical spine fusion, but it's not as bad as it sounds. One of the most important things is that you have complete confidence in your surgeon and follow his or her post-op orders, like no bending, lifting and twisting.

Like C said, there are pros and cons to every surgery, but if you've gotten to this point, it's assumed that there's nothing else to try and surgery is now the only choice. I got there too.

Take care and feel free to reach out to the other members here for support and to help answer questions.

Do you know what levels you're having fused? What symptoms are you having?

• ~X( Yes it is going to be c3-c6, I also have alot of scare tissue....weird thing is, I was referred to him, for my back fusion... after he looked at my MRI & CT and the read my intake paper work..his first ?? to my husband (who is suffer from Double Renal failure,I am his soul caregiver, dialysis will be done at home) that was the reason I was getting my back~L-4-6 & S1..repaired so I could be stronger for him.) how my balance was... we BOTH busted out laughing...I fall going upstairs~ I fall over just standing up, I am always breaking things ect. ect. We have always marked it up for me beingging a *dingy blonde klutz* =)) He sends me for MRI & CT of NECK!! 2 drays later I see him, and find I I HAVE to have surgery, I have VERY little space let in column.so will be decompressurized, and with the damage of the disk, and spurs he is going to fuse all 3.....after I have been FULLY recouped from neck..as long as everything goes well WHICH IT WILL.then he will fuse my back, what gets me is he says IF it Doesn't turn out like we are hoping, he will have to go thru the back and fuse it that way....OMG why do it later if you feel it MAY NOT work first time.....this site has opened my eyes........I am scared chitless, and cant afford to be in an efn wheelchair....... sad thing is we are only 44 (me) & 49 (him) to young for this chit...... I want my life back.. I try now to have fun with excess pain meds. then pay for it for a few days bad things is, I am paying more attention to my neck and see that YES there is an issue........my back has taken full attention from me...
    yes I rammbeled trying to get as much out as needed so you see why I am frustrated and scared.....glad I found some eye openers with this site xo xo xo <3 Thanks in advance!!!!!!
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    Just a suggestion. But you might want to get a second opinion on both your neck and your back. And see if they agree. Either surgery, you will need a care giver at least for a while.
    Good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!