Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

How long did it take for you to see the ALJ?

IvorymoonIIvorymoon Posts: 44
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:43 AM in Health Insurance Issues
I haven't been on here much, I had to give up my internet at home due to not being able to afford it, I am now at the library. I have been trying to work, but I just cannot.....my low back has gotten so much worse.

I am now waiting for the hearing with the Administrative Law Judge...... my disability attorney told me it may take up to 10 months...... there is a very good chance I will lose my apartment and be homeless by that time though, so I am very scared and upset and having anxiety attacks now. I have no family left and no where to go should I lose my apartment.
My doctor wrote another letter explaining my situation and condition and my attorney sent it in......

How long has it taken others to see the ALJ? I am so worried.....

• MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
    electric company disconect or a vacate the premises 30 day warning from your landlord - your attny can write a "dire needs" statement that may help expidite your hearing.

What about SSDI - please check into your local community resources - your attny should have a list of agencies that could help ... your local village or township - the salvation army - the closest wealthy church (most of them) are all places to consider. I am rapidly heading in your same direction myself.

Maybe we can start our own spiney tent camp. I'm thinking of camping out on the steps of our state capital with copies of my x-rays and my earnings statement from Social Secutiry showing the over $60,000 I have paid in over the years.

G_d be with you,

Spine-health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!

• Thanks! I am going to talk to my attorney again..... I asked that he write a letter about my situation but he claims I HAVE to have an eviction notice and not just talk from my landlord.....well, by the time I get a notice it would be too late....we only have 7 days to vacate here in Wisconsin.

I am getting some county assistance now, but they don't help much...and for some reason are making me pay more than the 30% monthly rent that I am supposed to (they pay the rest)..... I am looking into all that.

Thanks for all your support on here, it means a lot to me.
  • The church option, that's part of the whole principle of operation for many churches.

Sure it helps to be a member, but our church has paid as much as $600 to help a family get their car repaired so they could get home!

The giving works both ways.
  • In my case it was 3 years before my first ALJ hearing (another denial), and over 4 years before my 2nd one was scheduled (which I didnt have-the Judge approved a week before the hearing based on my case being sent back for review by ODAR-office of disabilty appeals & review). This isn't true in every case, of course, as it depends on your medical & mental issues, and your age is also often a factor.

I know how it feels to be homeless...I was there a year ago for the same reasons! Wrambler is correct, often churches will help even with those who aren't members. It certainly couldn't hurt! Also try the Salvation Army in your area-they helped me with my rent when I was going through treatment for cancer and couldn't work-I was facing eviction but they paid 3 months of my rent and saved me. (they couldn't help me a year ago due to budget constraints-nobody could..I lived in Michigan and there are a LOT of people needing help there. I lived in low income housing, my rent was increased and I couldn't afford it, so before I could be evicted, I moved out voluntarily and lived in a tent until the last weekend of August when my parents rented me a moving truck for what I had left of my stuff after selling nearly everything I owned-& moved me to FL. They've been paying all of my bills ever since. Thankfully I'll be getting my SSDI & SSI payments-hopefully soon-so I can take the financial burden off of them. I hate the thought of them being retired/on fixed income and supporting my son and I!)

Good luck to you-keep us posted! I hope you're approved at your hearing!