Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Post MD

amaglarioaamaglario Posts: 1
Just had Microdiskectomy April 7th, 2010.
Had a sucessful surgury. Following the surgury the pain down the left leg was gone. After 11.5 months of constant pain and living on narcotics...i was elated. Felt so good after surgury...went back to work 4 days later. Most of what i do involves sitting at a desk...no lifting. Was walking short distances and not lifting, etc... Other than probably sitting for longer periods than I really should have...I am following doctors orders. Problem is two days ago the pain is 80% back...just like before the surgury. Does this mean it didn't work like I thought it did??? Or is it still possible for it to go away. I know it's only been 11 days since the surgury...maybe I'm expecting too much??? I just feel like it worked and then it went backwards. If any one has any thought I'd love to hear.
Many Thanks...A

• hi A and welcome to Spine Health.

Sounds like your surgery went well. Have you been to your 2-week post op appointment?

When you say the pain is 80% back, do you find that it's associated with certain activity (such as after a day at work)?

I only ask b/c you are still early in recovery. The key with this surgery is to not push it too much even when you are feeling good. Since you are back at work, you indicated you are sitting longer than you should. My guess is this means you are also not walking as much as you did the first several days after surgery.

It's probably too early to say if it worked or not. I will say that most failed surgeries occur in the 1st 3- months so it's important for you to go back to basics when your pain increases.

what does this mean?
    - Rest...lying down on your back, pillow under legs.
    - Log roll to get out of bed
    - walking. Walking is so good for you. It doesn't have to be distance but just frequency is key.
    - don't sit for more than 20 mins at a time. If you have to at work, set your calendar or phone to alarm you every 30 mins
    Sitting puts about an extra 30% load on your lower spine. I am guessing that you had the surgery on the lumbar area based on your leg pain
    - drink water. Hydrations is key to reduced inflammation.
    - ice 10 mins for 3 times a day
    - Ibuprofin is ok at this point. Also tylenol is a good choice for keeping pain at bay. If you have to take occassional narcotic meds, it is ok

And, as always, remember you don't have to wait for an appointment to call your doctor with a concern.

I woudn't say you are expecting too much.
    At the same time, you need to take caution not to overdo it.

I hope this helps.