Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

MRI artifact question

grandmesamomggrandmesamom Posts: 181
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:43 AM in Lower Back Pain
I am 11 year post op spinal fusion L45 .I have done great up until the past year with increased low back pain radiating to hips. I had an MRI done which virtually is unreadable because of the srtifact. The Dr showed it to me and it looks like a big blob of nothing.
Why do they do an MRI if they can't see around the hardware?
Is there another alternative or xray they can do that actually shows what is going on at the surgery level?

• There is a lot of variation in how much metallic artifacts interfere with MR imaging. I have screws in my pelvis, but they don't cause much distortion on my MRIs. So, there are people with hardware who can get usable MRIs.

A CT or a CT myelogram may be a better imaging choice for you. It just depends on what they are looking for. Did your doctor not recommend an alternative?
  • Did your doctor or the radiologist also consider the MRI unreadable?
  • The radiologist could only read above L4 and states that due to artifact he could not see below this level. The ortho Dr showed me the MRI and also told me it was not useful. We are trying conservative measures first like rest and antiinflammatories. I am concerned because my legs feel wobbly,stiff and I get cramps all the way down my hamstrings to my calves. I am very active and I don't know what to think of this.
This discussion has been closed.