Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

how long from symptom to cervical surgery

LouiseFLLouiseF Posts: 6
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:43 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi Everyone!
How long from symptom to cervical surgery for anyone and did the time span waited affect the outcome?

• Hi Louise

Of course every situation is different. Have you had tests done to determine where the problem is?

As for surgery you need to consider carefully. I would get at least two opinions. Also you need to find out if doing surgery now is the best thing. Unless you have cord compression there is usually no need to rush. There are lots of things to consider before deciding on surgery. Many people have wonderful outcomes from surgery but not everyone. Also there is a risk of dominoe damage to the rest of your spine.

If you can share more about how you were injured and what you have been told so far you will get lots of feedback. Just remember that speed is not necessary unless there is cord compression. So take your time and make the right decisions.
  • That's a fairly vague question. There is no set answer or whether waiting is a good or bad idea.

Depending on your symptoms and issues changes it significantly.

There are a standard set of procedures a surgeon will go through before doing surgery.

I'm pretty sure everyone on this forum has a different answer for how many days, if they even know how many.
  • To be more clear, I woke up xmas morning and couldn't close my hand and had no strength in it. My neck was sore and my upper right back also. The hand strength came back but then the pain down the right arm and into the index finger started. Waves of nerve pain.....I tried a accupuncturist, but no relief...so went to my primary dr. and he gave me anti spas, anti-inflamitory and pain meds..... THe pain meds did nothing for the pain, but gradually the pain subsided and now I just have numbness and tingling in my index finger and sometimes thumb and 3rd, and muscle weakness in my tricep. My question on time is.... my tricep is being deprived of it's nerve and if I wait till I am really hurting again.... will it be too late to regain the muscle strength or is it already lost...
    MRI shows bulging disc on C6-7 and 5-6 looking nasty, but not causing any symptoms.
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    You said that there were MRI findings but no symptoms. However, the pain and other stuff you describe are symptoms of disc problems at the levels you mentioned. Please don't wait too long. You can regain muscle strength and the numbness, tingling, etc can improve if you get treatment in a timely manner. If everything that has been done thus far has not improved the symptoms you mentioned then a consultation with an orthopedic spine surgeon and/or neurosurgeon is needed. I waited a bit too long and have residual numbness in my left hand index finger which will never improve.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos