Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

BAD flare up don't know what to do ????

strakerstraker Posts: 1,851
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:43 AM in Lower Back Pain
hi all
as most of you know i have had a rough few years regarding back pain and i am undecided about another major operation .mean whilst i am trying to get in better shape and increase my activities BUT .on Friday just gone i was woken with evil back and leg pain {worse than normal } and its just stayed there all weekend .i am so fed up with taking one step forward and three back i just cant get a regular flow to life .its all pain pain pain.i am a veteran regarding pain and even i am stumped i don't know what i should do i just feel like my life is wasting away .the pain is so bad that even sitting on my recliner is taking all i have .i have tried everything from narcotics to ice packs ..any ideas welcome sorry for moaning but i am so fed up

• Tony, I wish I knew something, anything to tell you. I've read your situation and I'm so sorry you are declining again. I hope you find something to help. Have you tried to maybe soak in the tub or on a heating pad. Sometimes it helps if I put a chair in the shower and just let the hot water run down my back as I sit there. When my muscles spasm it seems to make the sciatica worse.
  • sorry it seems pain is taking over and i feel what your going thru...
    somedays i get to the pool but this was bad flare up wkend for me also..
    as i see you also have been awaken by this evil we call pain..
    i have not much to offer i am in same boat..
    back issues and fibro flare up at same time..
    so here i lay i don't attemp to get in recliner when flare ups this bad...
    i so wish i knew what to tell you to do to get relieg from this pain your feeling...but i have no answers..
    there is no operation that can improve my life..
    i'm here for ya
    sorry for all our pain this wee hour in am
    take care
    neck,bone spurs pain started 04, back issues and fusion l4,l5 06~hardware removed.
    good few yrs. 09 pain sharp, numbness feet,legs, diagnosed fibro, neurop. legs.lung issues.
    daily goal do good thing for someone.
  • darn this back stuff stinks. I sometimes do my stretching exercises when my back gets to that pain that wont go away. I know that sounds hard to do at that time but it can help to stretch it out some. It does hurt to do it but then later it can releive some of it. maybe you can try it. plus then you can soak in a hot tub or bath tub with very hot water and then ice pack. I hope this can help you a little. pain is so evil. but as they say (lol) no pain no gain. try it. It cant hurt. God Bless you and try for a better day
  • for a swim as the ache has subsided a little mind you i have had a bucket load of pain killers to get me there !! this morning was hell pain wise it felt like i had been beaten up i now just feel tired and achy but its manageable .than god for Oxycontin
  • Sorry you are having a flare up! I had one last Sunday, and I increased my Lyrica and Soma with my doctor's blessing, and I used the ice pack every 2 hours. Are you taking anything other than the narcotics?

• Hi Tony,
    How are you feeling today? Sorry you have been in so much pain. I've had a couple of really bad days, then almost like magic, a couple of 'good' ones. Not pain free, but not bad... it's amazing how I can hurt so bad one day, and then not much the next. Like being on a see-saw. I feel your pain, AND your frustration!!
    The swimming helps some? Are you actually swimming, or just dog paddling, or what? My pool is like 8 feet by 3.5 feet deep, not enough to 'swim' in, but just getting in it takes the pressure off my spine, I guess cause fat floats, and so my belly and all fat float upward, releasing the pressure on my spine. I GUESS! At least, that is my theory! My pool is made by Intex and you can buy them at the Dollar General stores, or maybe wal-mart. They have a website too, and you can buy directly from them, if you wish. IF you have a backyard. I keep forgetting that a lot of people like in apartments or places where they don't have a spot for their own pool, or privacy for that matter! I guess I AM lucky for living in the country for THAT reason. ;-)
    Hope you are feeling better today!! ~Molly
  • Hi Tony,

I'm so sorry you had a rough night. Hopefully your swim helped. This is just a thought, and you may have already explored this- Have your doctors considered trying an NMDA antagonist drug with you? They're good for neuropathic pain, and pain that is not adequately controlled with opioids. Your post made me think of it because it sounds like even with the opioids you're still not getting good pain relief?

There is also research showing that NMDA antagonists can help with peripheral and central sensitization which all of us chronic pain patients likely have, and that could be a factor in your pain?? An NMDA antagonist could help break your pain cycle and give you some relief while you continue to try to figure out what your next step is going to be.

Hang in there.
  • Tony,
    It is never easy when the pain flares and increases more than the constant level we have already, experience will tell you that this current phase will ease and it is never easy waiting for it to subside.

As you say, the usually strategy may not work or we are physically incapable of doing that, even as a veteran we need support and encouragement to keep going, we may have more skill and experience and that in itself will not ease the pain. We do have the expectation that we should be able to manage this more effectively and perhaps the key is to build up a repertoire of what to do in this situation where opportunity is more restricted.

It is never as simplistic that if we omit doing certain things the pain will not increase just because it can and pacing does help, knowing where that daily threshold is can never be identified with any confidence. Some days we can dream of not being a pain patient, others day we cannot stand up or move adequately.

Pushing ourselves is a reasonable objective and we all experience of that one step forward and three back, which may never change and working within those confines means we have to work especially hard for incremental improvement. It is not easy not knowing the future, it is understandable projecting the future based on our current condition, would I feel any better had I known what my own future would hold all those years past, we can only deal with a day at a time as those plans we all had for the future are put on hold.

I know you are keen and are doing well, you have that notion of a potential surgery in your mind for some considerable time with all the concern for an improving outcome, you come here and help others, you are made of strong stuff, is it the beer !

You can only do what you can, if we can all say we tried today then we can do no more and we should not be hard on ourselves for something that we find difficult, have a moan get it out in the open, then move on, you are doing that.

Many people without chronic pain are not swimming, so chin up and good luck.

Take care. John

• i am just resting .too tired to swim and its too cold to do anything else so i will stay on my chair in my nice warm room and watch two and a half men /king of queens /dharma and greg .all good stuff from the USA ...thanks for all the kind and encouraging words .it is hard to keep going with chronic pain and being loaded up with pain killers every day .and some days it pays just to rest ..doing nothing is sometimes the best thing to do
    tony x
  • Hi Tony, take it easy today! And speaking of Two and a Half Men, Charlie Sheen shaved his head! Have you seen him? LOL Anyhow, just wanted to toss that your way. Take care today now and reeeeeelax! I know it gets very boring--- I cannot drive so I am home alone every day---thank God for the Internet!!
  • Sorry dude' I know the feeling trust me. Dont mater how long we had the pain already, you never get use to it.I also been trying to increase my activity now that it has finaly warmed up,for it seems i feel totaly cripled in the winter months from the nerve pain. Just hang in there dude and let things calm down a bit before slowly geting back in the activity again. Sometimes there realy aint nothing else that can be done but rest. As boring as i find television its not easy having so much down time. I think if i became pain free i would toss the tv out the window along with the computer and would not ever own 1 ever again. And i would be totaly happy with that living life to the fullest as it should be. I think we all get the feeling at times that we are watching our life pass us by for sure. How can you not feel that way. I dont think any of us knew what life had in store for us. Only the idiots out there that never had this kind of pain to deal with are the ones that dont get it. In case you ever heard the saying from someone saying, well why dont you just have surgery? as if they informed ya of something you have not already done and did not work. For those idiots out there,Here is your sighn' ok where is the midle finger icon here' git-er-done. Ok Tony hang in there buddy.
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • alexhurting said:
    Only the idiots out there that never had this kind of pain to deal with are the ones that dont get it. In case you ever heard the saying from someone saying, well why dont you just have surgery? as if they informed ya of something you have not already done and did not work. For those idiots out there,Here is your sighn' ok where is the midle finger icon here' git-er-done.

You SAID it! How many times do my friends keep telling me I need to get this done NOW, as if they have any clue! As if it's as simple as going in for a tooth extraction or something easy. They have NO IDEA what many of us are facing!
  • Your words of encouragement and advice are so helpful, especially at times, like Tony...a veteran of pain....is having a set back. It really is important to get support, advice, encouragement, prayers etc even if you are a newby or a veteran.

As a veteran myself, I an say that being in constant pain is so draining and somedays coming on to this site was the only thing to lift my spirits and keep me moving that day.

Thanks for always being there for us spiney's with your kind words of wisdom and encouragement.
  • Hi Tony,
    I hope you are feeling better painwise and able to get back into the pool. I'm sure this helps to boost your esteem and give you a sense of accomplishment. Try not to push yourself in the pool though. You use more muscles and twisting your back and body than you realize. Just try walking around when you are too sore to swim.

I gotta go rest but wanted to drop you a line and let you know I was thinking of you and hope you are getting your pain level under control.

Your Spiney Friend,
    XXX Michele
This discussion has been closed.