Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Bone grow stimulator Orthofix spine-stim

Renos64RRenos64 Posts: 77
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:43 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello,
I have had my 2e revision fusion surgery due to pseudo-arthrosis caused by a non-fusion on L4L5.
I am now thinking of trying a bone grow stmulator of Orthofix, "Spine-Stim".
Has anybody have experience with such a device? And do anybody have used this device and do not use it anymore and is willing to sell it. I am interested to buy it.

I hope to get a reply.

Regards,
Renos

2 level fusion L5S1 and L4L5, L5S1 well fused but non-fusion at L4L5.
advertisement

Comments

• I used the cervical version of the Orthofix spine stimulator, with very good success. But, not sure if it's the same with the back version or not, the rep who explained the stim to me (and mostly my husband, it was after my surgery & I was a bit goofy), they are programmed for single use only. By that, I mean that they are used for a short term, and then are not resellable, as they can't be reprogrammed to be used again.

Have you spoken with your surgeon about this? I'm sure they would have all the information available about these devices, and as I say, it may be different with the back version. But the cervical version is basically disposable, once you're done with it, it can't be reprogrammed again.

Good luck with your recovery, I hope you do very well with it!

Kat
  • Hi,

I am using a Spinalpak 2 stimulator right now for a revision, one level, lumbar surgery. Level L3-L4. You should really ask your surgeon about ordering one for you if you feel it will help. They are commonly ordered for failed fusion patients. Mine has a given lifespan of 270 days and then it won't run any more. These are RX items so keep that in mind if you buy off the internet. I have electrical pads that must be worn on either side of the incision where the surgery was. These pads need to be replaced every 4 days so that is something to consider. The reading I have done on them show that they really do help. I am 12 weeks post-op and I can see fusion taking place on the xrays.

David
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    I am using a different version called the SpinalPak II. I am a fan of bone growth simulators. I used one after my ACDF and now am using one after my recent lumbar fusion.

Since I have a hard LSO brace on for 12 weeks the version I got is two 3" pads that attach to either side of my back incision and the leads from these attach to a battery pack I carry in my pocket.

My insurance covered the cost completely. I have seen some of this type and others occasional on the internet. HOWEVER, many of these come with battery packs that eventually die (they are kind of disposable in a sense). When the one I was using for my ACDF was no longer charging up well the company told me just to put it in a box and they try to recondition it and use it again but often it is just discarded.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos