Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

2 days to go

chileroxcchilerox Posts: 69
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:43 AM in Spinal Cord Stimulation
Well, today is my last day of normalcy before my surgery. Tomorrow I have to pick up my mom at the airport, and then we're driving out to Austin. I have to be at the hospital the next morning.

I've been really freaking out about it for the last week or so, but I'm honestly to the point where I'm too tired to freak out about it anymore.

We finally got my bed put together (I'm in the middle of moving across Texas, oh joy - what timing!) so at least that's done.

I've hardly gotten out of bed in days, and am actually looking forward to being in the hospital, because there won't be anything I feel like I have to get up and do. I can just lay in bed and sleep and it won't matter. I see my psych in 10 days, and it's a good thing, as the new meds aren't really helping at all. I'm not actively suicidal anymore but that's the only difference. Bah.

My roommate finally figured out that I'm freaking out yesterday - she asked me what my favorite comfort food was and made it for me for dinner. And she bought me a big bag of reese's pieces.

I'm really hoping things start to look up after my surgery... I just can't go on like this.

• You got my prayers heading to you.And as for freaking out we all do that at time.

• Relax, better days are ahead of you. Just to put a smile on your face and to show you that I'm not lying, this past weekend I took my daughter and her friends to an amusement park for her 16th birthday. Rode the Intimidator 305 which my wife thought I was nuts to do. I wouldn't recommend it for someone with neck problems but for me it was fantastic and exhilarating. I did have to change how I took my scripts for the day but I did not exceed the maximum allowable dosage.

A couple of the slower roller coasters I got double the enjoyment because my stimulation pattern changed a little during the ride.

Get ready to start enjoying life again.

• I almost wonder if that's part of what has me so freaked out. All of this has been going on since I was 7 years old, and although it wasn't as bad back then, it was still not great.

I don't really know what it's like to have a normal life...
  • Probably tired of hearing it...but relax. You will find that normal is what you make of it. If I hadn't found a doctor that was willing to help me my normal would be hours in bed. Remember...normal is what you make it. With or without the stimulator you could plant yourself in a chair and say you are "NOT GOING TO DO ANYTHING"...and you won't. Will it give you the opportunity to say let's try?...yes it will and I hope you grab ahold of those moments and say "YES...I WILL!!!" For me it wasn't that bad...surgery pain was far less than what I was dealing with on a daily basis that it was a relief to me...and of course I was in the hospital over night and was able to get better pain relief...but going home wasn't scary at all. I remember being afraid the tunneling under the skin would hurt and bruise...but you know what...It wasn't that bad.
  • Think of the fun as you discover a new normal. I'm excited for you.

• I have to leave for the airport to pick up my mom in about an hour, and then it's off to Austin! Wonder how much I can get done that needs getting done before I have to leave...

I'm finally starting to get excited too instead of worried.

When I had my brain surgery, they offered me something to calm me down/help me relax in pre-op. I told them I didn't need it. I'll never forget getting to the OR and my surgeon saying, "She isn't sedated!!!" and the anesthesiologist saying, "She didn't want anything!" :-)