Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Who has longest fusion post-op?

allicat623aallicat623 Posts: 45
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:43 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi all....

I'm 10 mos post-op for a 3 level front & back fusion, C3-C7, with hardware. (check out my pic....)

I was talking to the grandmother (about 70 yrs old) of one of my daughter's friends who didn't know I had the surgery last summer and she said, "You're only going to get worse as you get older...."

Well that is true of all of us, but it got me thinking about how folks are doing one, two, five, 10 years post-op from cervical fusion??? Is there a lot of data for long-term prognosis for multi-level fusions?

My first single-level fusion was 16 years ago....I'm thinking it led to my second fusion because I really didn't do anything to keep moving.

Anyway,just wanted to see how any long-timers -- who are still here -- are doing?

• First, try to ignore what people say. Unless they're a spine doctor, they don't know what they're talking about. I can't tell you how many comments people get before and after spine surgery from people who've heard "from a friend of a friend" sort of stuff.

I had a 3-lvl ACDF in Oct. 2008 and am doing well. I still have movement at my C6/7 level due to an incomplete fusion, but I don't have any significant symptoms that warrant me dealing with it at this point.

My surgeon said that yes, fusion puts pressure on the levels above and below it, but with proper PT to teach you to keep your posture good and align the vertabrae, degeneration at those levels can be as low as 2 or 3% a year.

Of course, this isn't a hard and fast rule and I suppose some have degeneration faster than others. I just do what my PT and surgeon says to do and hope for the best.

One thing to remember here, is that many members that have had a successful fusion leave and don't post any longer because they're out living their life with no further problems or complications and no need for support. There's something great to be said for that.

As long as you take good care of yourself, you're doing the best you can to stave off another surgery.

• Though not a cervical fusion, my brother had his lumbar spine fused 27 years ago and he's able to walk and ride his bike. He's 52 now and was 25-26 at the time. I agree with Gwennie just brush off the comments of others. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN

Post removed for inappropriate comments made towards another member.

Post Edited by Authority Member haglandc
  • FerretLadyFFerretLady BC, CanadaPosts: 1
    Anybody still out there?  

My first fusion was T2 thru L2 at age 13 in the late 80's Scoliosis.  Fast forward 27 years and I required additional fusion as the vertebra at the bottom of the fusion twisted, destroying the disk between them.  I had a very physical job, lots of lifting, bending and dangling from catwalks.  Now, after my second fusion 2 years ago, I am fused from T2 thru L3.  Unfortunately this didn't;t solve the chronic pain I live with.  It looks like the remainder of my low back needs to be fused.  All the way down to S1.  The bottom disk is pretty much destroyed, the other two discs above are severely damaged.  I'm trying to figure out the impact on my life, should I opt for the full fusion.  

Anyone fused from S1 past or even into your Lumbar section?