Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

nerve pain in legs psot op 9 weeks answers please

edited 06/11/2012 - 8:43 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
anyone haveing the difficulty i have been haveing since my surgery, on 8th ? i have severe pain nerve pain from my knees to my hips on both legs more on the front sides,it burns and stings so bad, i called my neuro and he says this is a good thing means the nerves are healing. but i cant stand it. it hurst 24 hrs a day, no pain pill helps, ive evan put the lidocain 5% pathches on both legs. anyone had this or got any suggestions, ive tried ice packs heat, pain patchs cold rags , feels like im loseing my mind from the pain. my back is doing well from my plif surgery healing fine stiff in the mornings and hurts some if i walk to much, but this leg nerve thing is getting the best of me i dont go back for my 6 wk check up until may 4th. anyone had this or have any thing that has helped this please please tell me.

thankyou debra

• Are you back home now? You've had quite a time....
    I have/had that pain and I know exactly what you're going through. Did the doctor give you something for nerve pain? The most commonly prescribed meds are neurontin (generic is gabapentin) or its new "big brother," Lyrica. The meds that are prescribed for nerve pain are the only ones that will touch it, and even then it may not work.

Do you have it all the time? Ah, I see you say 24 hrs a day, so I guess there aren't any situations when it stops?

I developed that pain in my right thigh right after surgery and they had to keep me heavily medicated to keep me from crying or screaming out. I still had an IV line so they just shot something into it. It was a bit better by the time I left the hospital...but just enough so I was able to keep myself from screaming.

All I can suggest is that you call your doctor, tell him again about it and, however you want to word it...ask him for something for nerve pain...lyrica or neurontin....

I'm really sorry you are suffering through this. I hope your surgeon is correct and it is just a result of the nerve "waking up."

• I know exactly what that pain feels like also. As a mistake while I was in the hospital after my fusion, they stopped giving me neurotin. I kept asking for it, saying it felt like hot acid was poured on my back. They dismissed it as post op pain (which in a sense it was) I would pace in my room sobbing. When I got home, the first night, paced and sobbed. Called the next morning~restarted the neurotin (that was never to have been stopped) and within a couple days it was so much better.

I had taken it for a couple of years~never realized how well it worked (btw it shouldn't ever be stopped suddenly).

I am so sorry you are going through this. Have you started PT. A TENS unit might help, and they might be able to help with the pain also.

Another thing that I found to help me was distractions~puzzle, sudoko, music, a friend or the Wii.

Thinking of you! We are here for you to vent to! Hang in there! Shari
  • I'm having the same post-op nerve pain in my left leg as you. Mine started at 8 weeks post-op, with leg swelling. I was disappointed and worried since it was almost the same pain as before surgery. But, I was told it was normal and was, as Gwennie said, my nerve waking up. The swelling has subsided with use of ice, elevation and light compression stockings but I still have the nerve pain. Some days are better then others. I'm not taking anything for it since most days it's just uncomfortable. When it does get to be too much I usually find that getting comfortable in my recliner with a heating pad on my leg helps me.

I'm sorry to hear you are having so much pain and hope it gets better. Definitely call your surgeon if nothing you are doing is helping. They should be able to give you something to make you more comfortable.
  • thanks for the replys rvryone, have had this pain sinc 2nd day i left hospital, called dr, but he said this ws a good thing means nerves are wakeing up and healing. so no other med subscribed, im on 10 hydro valuum, cymbalta. and thats it i have some neurotin from earlier this year think ill get it and try it, no heat no cold no nothing stops the pain.
  • I have the burning sensation also. I've been taking Lyrica, and it helps some. My gel ice pack helps and just like Jayhawk said, a TENS unit help a little...at least it takes my mind off the burn...

Hope you get some relief soon...take care,