Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Waterbeds: What is your take on this?

blackberrybunnybblackberrybunny Posts: 157
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:43 AM in Lower Back Pain
I don't know why this never crossed my mind before...probably because I remember the day I initially hurt myself, but here is the thing, I grew up sleeping on a waterbed from the age of 11 until I moved out of home, at age 19. That's 8 years of full motion waterbed sleeping. Now, I know this wasn't the cause of my back problems, but do you think it could have contributed to it in some small way? I mean, what I am getting at is, from age of 11 - 19, my adolescent body is growing. Every part of me. Now I know some people sleep on the floor in some countries, and some people sleep in hammocks in others. But a full motion waterbed? Do you think that could be bad for a growing adolescent's back? I always kept my bed less full, so it would be extra 'sloshy!'

Just wondering what your thoughts are on this. I was a child of the 70's, and waterbeds were the "IN" thing. Boy, was it nice in the winter, when I turned up it's heater too!

• It's funny you posted this now. Last weekend I was laying on one of the elevated air mattresses and thinking how nice it would be to have my waterbed back. I had one for about 4 years when I was first married. Got rid of it when my bedroom moved upstairs.

I was thinking how comfy the air mattress was. I'm sure it is probably not good for many people. However the latest thing in hospitals now is air beds. They are very hard to get but it is just like an air mattress on a hospital bed frame. If you could get an air mattress with independantly adjustable sections it would be wonderful!!
  • the electrically adjustable with sprung and memory foam mattress over memory foam or water as i found them hell to get off .the memory foam on its own i found too hard and hard to get off in the morning but the memory/sprung combination mattress is fantastic you get the comfort of memory foam and the support of spring and being on an electrical base its easier to exit from {i cant get off a normal bed without help }don't be put off by electrical bed my wife and i are only in our 40 is and we like nice things too ! our electrical is a sledge type and to look at it you would never know its an electrical bed .tempur and velda do a good range {we went for the velda}
  • The Sleep Number bed is an air mattress and you can adjust it from 0 (your rearend touches the bottom of the bed) to 100 (like sitting on a brick). With all of my cervical and lumbar problems, I've adjusted my side of the bed anywhere from 35 to 55, depending on what makes me feel best at the time. Since my TLIF, I've preferred a harder sleeping surface so keep my sleep number up close to 50, but if I wake up in the morning and want something a little softer, I just turn down the dial and voila - softer bed. (In case it wasn't clear, I have my own dial for my side and hubby has one for his side.)

I've had this bed for over six years and wouldn't trade it for anything in the world.

• This is where you will get plenty of opinions. All of them are right and wrong... ;-) Even doctors opinions on this differ.

We had a water bed, full motion, when we first got married. Then replaced it later with a semi-motion one. It had baffles and killed the "ocean motion" while still being a water bed.

We loved the water beds. Especially heating it up in winter.

When my back issues came along I went to a semi-firm mattress, then super-firm, then Sleep Number. Unlike Cathie I get no comfort from that bed no matter what number I pick. I hate it and won't sleep in it anymore. I tried from like 25-75 with no good results. I'm back on the super-firm amish built mattress. Which is basically a brick with a pillow top... ;-) lol

I have tried, in the store, several times on the memory foam beds. Don't like them and getting out of one is horrible.

I've found 2 that I do like and 1 of them my wife likes. It is a hybrid bed that we both agree on.

We looked for a water bed as an option but finding a place to try one around here is difficult. Or that option would be on the table.

BBB, As for did it contribute to your problems sleeping on one during development years. Who knows? I doubt there is a clear cut answer to that. I'd say the number of times you fell from running, riding a bike, a horse, playing sports, tripping over your own feet, wrestling on the floor. They all probably weren't good long term either. Does it matter at this point? Probably not. I'd try a water bed again.

• I think the only safe thing to do is wrap ourselves in bubble wrap. Of course some of you would have to be allergic to the plastic so that's out the window!!!
  • Kris-NY, thanks for the smile you just gave me! You've got a good suggestion there.

OR we could get ourselves one of those bubble dresses Lady GaGa wore on stage that time---do you guys know what I'm talking about? It looked like she was enveloped in a bunch of different sized clear bubbles. LOL

I think also, was it Tony?--on here who also mentioned that the memory foam is VERY difficult to get out of. I had a suggestion == my husband and I rec'd a real featherbed as a gift, and we LOVE it! It's like a cloud, ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! NOT hard to get out/off of either.
This discussion has been closed.