Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Returning to Work?

usawcraiguusawcraig Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:43 AM in Recovering from Surgery
I just had a lamenectomy, and single level fusion of L5 S1. So far so good. I recieved a Biomet Spinal Pak II bone fusion stimulator yesterday and am using it as I type. My surgery was just 3 weeks ago, and so far it has produced great results thank god. My concern currently, is that my doctor told me that I could return to work after 12 weeks post op. I work for UPS, so I have a physical job that involves bending, twisting, heavy lifting, and often lots of steps. If anyone has any experience with returning to a physical job, I'd love to hear them good bad or ugly.
Will C.

• Hi Will,

Delighted to hear your recovery is going so well.

I returned to work 12 weeks after a laminectomy & decompression at L5/S1 (no fusion)

As an environmental officer in a construction co. My work doesn't involve any lifting but would be quite physical. Until I returned to work I was feeling great wth only occasional pain / numbness. Now 7 weeks on I am back on meds & my doc has ordered another mri, the pain in my leg has gotten so bad.

So my only advice is to go back to work when you feel ready not whan your doctor says it's ok also make sure he is aware of the work you do. Take it very slowly when you do go back - prehaps your employer could put you on light duties 2 or 3 days a week to start with & you could build up from there?

Best of luck & hope things continue to improve for you

• I have no experience returning to work after surgery but ask your Dr. if you should wear a support belt if that would help you not bend but squat to pick up your boxes. It's too bad you couldn't just deliver small boxes or letters though my brother works as a courier and know it's a fast paced physical job. Best wishes and hope you heal completely. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I felt fabulous at 3 weeks, but by the time the 8 week mark had arrived and I was heading back to a desk job fulltime, the pain in my lower back, rear, and right leg was simply torturous once I started sitting all day. I had an MRI done and it looks like scar tissue is the culprit.

One thing that I would mention about a fusion, and this was a complete surprise to me, is that sometimes they leave a large portion of the disk intact. Thus, you could actually herniate the disk where you had the fusion. There are a few posts on this site that discuss it. I would suggest being incredibly careful about lifting.

I started PT at 5 weeks post-op from an L5-S1 fusion and have built up remarkable strength. I feel stronger than ever. So, I tried to doing a little light yardwork at 13 weeks post op, and 2 weeks later, I'm still suffering from increased pain!

So...be careful! Best wishes!