Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I Had a Car Accident :(

TraseeTTrasee Posts: 571
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:43 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Ughhhhh!!! I had a small accident today. Some bean head pulled out in front of me. I tried to steer around and stand on the brakes. No goes....SMASH!! I have never had a car accident, and I was driving my brand new car. Well not completely brand new, I have had it for a year and a half. Fortunately, no damage to my car, at least nothing that can't be buffed out. The smash did cause damage to the guys bumper. But still. I was so upset. And the police officer kept asking if i was ok. I had to tell him I honestly couldn't tell, since I already suffer from severe lower back pain. Just as the officer was explaining the exchange of info on the report and noted minor damage to said guys truck, said guy pipes up that his back hurts. I know I gave him the evil eye. Police officer not impressed by said guy bringing this up an hour after the accident, since he previously stated he was fine, So, popo stayed with said guy. I left after officer said he would testify about the guy suddenly having pain. Btw, said Officer was hot!!!

So tonight, I have pretty bad pain in right shoulder, rt thigh and rt ankle. My hardware feels intact. I was on the brake so hard, I smoked the tires. Guess I am going to be sore for a few days.

Thanks for reading,

• I'm sorry to hear about the car accident. I would go for x-rays and call your insurance and say you were injured. This guy sounds like he's up to something. My husband had an accident and the woman later said it was his fault but it was her fault and she had booze on her breath. So it ended up being a 50-50 fault. I hope you heal from this injury. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Thanks Charry,

You are kind to comment. I will be very careful with this guy. I think he was seeing $$$ signs. No fault was assigned, but obviously if you drive into oncoming traffic, you are at fault. But I am doing fine, just sore. If it is bad tomorrow, I will go to Dr and ask for x-rays to be sure.

Have a great night,
  • You got the cop on your side. But call insurance and make them aware and that you feel sore.

I got nailed by a tractor trailer on the interstate 7 weeks after my microD. It wasn't pretty... At first it didn't feel real bad. On the 3rd day I was in severe pain and could barely move. For lots of reasons. Some of it happens when muscles/nerves spasm after the fact. So just make sure you're ok.

• Graham,

Thanks for the heads up on calling the insurance company. I will do it first thing in the morning. If that guy wants to take my insurance for a ride, they will at least have the knowledge that he originally said he was ok.

Hopefully, I will be ok too. I just tensed up and think that is why I am so sore. I think I will be ok.

• Oh no Tracee! I am SO sorry to hear you were in an accident! Please get checked out! Because you knew it was going to happen~your body went into "flight or fight" responce, the premitive reflexes for survival. The thing with this reflex is that it can last for several days. During this time, your brain fights to tell your body you are not hurt. Later, when the your brain allows your body to move into a normal state, that is when you begin to feel the pain.

I am so sorry this happen! I will keep you in my prayers. Please be sure your surgeon knows.

On a side note~this may be the catayist to you getting the help you have been needing and waiting for!!

Keep in touch and let us know how your are doing! Wish I was closer, I'd be on my way! Gentle hugs!!Shari
  • Yikes! Thank Goodness you weren't seriously hurt. I know you are smart enough to get checked out by a Dr. if you are in pain, so I won't say it, LOL. Be kind to your body (and mind). Keep us posted how you are feeling, please.

Take care,
  • I'm so sorry about your accident..I was thinking about you yesterday, and sent you a PM.

Traci...please call your surgeon at least to let him know what has happen, and if he wants to do anything about it...i.e. Xrays.

Let us know what happens today...

At least you got to look at a nice looking man...that is one thing that never hurts!!!

• Traci, Please hire a lawyer today. Protect yourself and make sure your rights are protected. Especially if other person was at fault and you have more long term impact on your health. Please look up the term “Egg Shell Doctrine" for more information.

Basically it is the following:
    Under the Egg Shell Doctrine, the responsible party must accept you in the physical and medical condition in which he or she was before the car accident. It doesn’t matter if the injured person is young and athletic, has thinning bones, or even a weakened muscular condition. If you are predisposed to bone fractures, like someone with osteoporosis would be, the responsible party still must pay for any injuries you suffer in a car accident.

Note: I am not a lawyer. But, I have the same type of issue I am currently dealing with. I currently do not have a lawyer because of my stupidity at the time!

Please get representation and do not sign anything with any insurance company until you hire a lawyer!
  • Traci,

Bummer! Sorry about the accident, and glad to hear that so far you are okay! I agree with everyone else, let the insurance know (to include your medical status of your back!). Getting x-rays might be a good thing too! I hope you don't have too much crap from this guy, as I also agree, "he" is up to something. Support *HUG*

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • First off I am soo sorry this happened to you.

You do need to do a few things today. First contact your insurance company. This is required no matter where you are. Usually within 24 hrs. They will take a statement from you on the phone.

Then you need to see your doctor. Let him take some xrays at the least to show where you are now. Often the pain won't start for weeks or even months when all the swelling and shock wears off.

Which state you are in and your policy will determine what happens next. Generally your insurance will handle everything but I would keep in touch with them. Find out how they see the fault and what they agree on with the other company. make sure they know the officer is willing to testify that he was fine and then had pain. He might be telling the truth - only tests will tell.

In the end you need to take care of yourself. Don't put off seeing your doctor.
  • Hey there...just wanted to stop by and say I am so sorry to hear of the accident.

I hope it was his fault...to me if someone pulls out into on coming traffic it should be his fault.

But I guess the key is are you ok?
  • very sorry to hear about your car accident. hopefully your fine but make sure you do as everyone here is saying and notify your insurance carrier and your surgeon, and get surgeon prescription for xrays if he feels they are necessary. the other guy will not do you any favors, so dont do him any either.
  • With everone else. Make sure you let people know about this ( surgeon and insurance) to cover yourself.
    Hope that things settle down and that you will be fine :-)
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,732
    Be carful the guy sounds like a snake! Your soreness could turn into something worse. I would go to the Dr.
    Good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • Hey Hey everyone,

Thanks for the well wishes. I am doing fine. My ankle is sore from the brake pedal, I guess. My back seems the same as usual. My Dr's office wasn't too concerned, but that's normal, too! I talked with insurance and gave them the heads up. So, I just went on with my aquatic therapy and a nap. Both were good.

• How are you feeling by today? Sometimes it takes a few days for the impact to register with the body. I hope you are doing OK.
  • The good thing is that you aren't seriously hurt. I am glad to know that you were checked out...and that everything is okay. No doubt you are sore....and totally unnerved, but will be okay. Very very good news there for sure. Take care of you, please. Many gentle hugs... Jane
  • Gwennie and Jane,

I am doing fine. I made sure to put a lidoderm patch on my ankle before bed last night. That made a big difference. My back and hip feel on fire. But that has nothing to do with the accident. Tuesday cannot get here fast enough. I am happy to be seeing new Pain Mgt Dr. Hopefully that will make a difference in my ability to work, etc. Thanks for the messages. I hope you are both well.

• I'm glad you're ok Trace.
    Hey, guess what? I heard a nascar team was looking for a new driver. You should apply!
    I think you would do great!
    Go for it!
    On the sunny and mild Central Coast of California

L4-L5 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy June, 2007
    L5-S1 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy May, 2008
  • I am glad to hear that you are ok.. If I were you I would have torned into that guy so bad and explained to him what real back pain is like.. That officer was very nice to make sure you can call him if that man trys to sue you or anything.. I worry everytime I get into my car about gettting into a wreck.. I have had 2 spinal fusions in different places so I pray that nothing happens to cause me to hit or hurt my back.. I hope you are feeling better and better everyday!!
  • Paul,

I would love to drive in Nascar. Think of the aggressions I could release on the track!! Fun Fun :)

Angela, Thanks, I am doing fine. My insurance is all cool and I don't have any worries currently. My ankle is much better. I know things can come up later. But my back is just like it was prior to the accident.

Best Wishes,
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,732
    Good to hear your OK!
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • Good Traci!!!! But keep us up to date
  • Traci, I had the same thing happen. Take pictures of any bruising and I found out that when I pushed the brake so hard, it misaligned my SI joint and I now have SI joint syndrome and it took seven months to diagnosis since I have lumber fusion three level.

You can research this by typing in SI syndrome auto accident. I was appalled by the information I found.

I went to a physical therapist that put it back in place with several visits and I go for myofasical release. I now also have piriformis syndrome.

Please don't assume that there is nothing wrong, I hope there is but the lap strap puts a great strain on your abdomen and muscles.

I bled through my belly button the next day and thought nothing about it but five years later my kidney cyst had gone from 3 cm to 12 cm and it was right where the lap belt of the seat belt was and ruptured my kidney cyst to grow.

I have learned alot and muscles and bruising means trauma and needs to be documented.

I didn't know if I was okay or not but decided to go in the ambulance since I was only five months post op, coming home from pt and the jerk without insurance pulls out in front of me. The air bag will scare you and is pressure in itself.

Please take pictures and get checked out. I also found out I had a T-9 fracture years afterward.

• Bj,

I am so sorry your accident was so bad. Fortunately, mine was not. My air bag did not deploy because I wasn't going fast enough. I was in a very congested traffic area and I braked so fast and hard. My ankle is all better, it was just sore for a day or two. I see a new dr tuesday, so I will be sure to discuss this as well, just to be safe.