Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Safe exercise

CawoolCCawool Posts: 1
Hi Y'all!
I've just joined this site so not sure if I'm posting this in the right place.
I've just been diagnosed with a large central disc protrusion, associated with compression of the thecal sac and S1 nerve root. I was notified by letter about the condition so only really know what I've been able to find on line. The condition is causing numbness in the back of my thigh and back/foot/leg pain. I've been referred to neurology for management (not sure what this will involve) but won't get an appointment for 4 - 6 weeks.
Anyway, my question is...what sort of exercise is still safe? I have an exercise bike and seem to remember reading this isn't good for my condition. Can anyone help or offer advice? Also wondering what to expect with this condition and if it will get better.
Many thanks

• Your referring physician that ordered the MRI and set up the referral, should be able to give you a referral to see a Physical Therapist for evaluation and to get recommendations on what you can or can not do or should or should not do.

Spine Health members are patients just like you. We can share our experiences, but you have to keep in mind that everyone's situation and injury is unique to them and their physiology. What works for one might not work for another. Everyone heals at a different rate, surgeons recommend different types of surgery for seemingly the same thing (on paper that is).

Getting better or recovering from a spine injury is possible in a large majority of the cases. Getting proper evaluation and guidance early on seems to really make a big difference for many people.

Welcome to Spine Health. This is a great place to meet others who really understand what it is you are going through.

• I agree with "C"....unfortunately, we can tell you what works for us and what doesn't. But just because something works for me, doesn't mean it is good for you.

It's always important to discuss these options with your doctor because he'll base his answers on his professional experience and your symptoms.

However, I guess since you are waiting and want to exercise, I always go with the rule of thumb to lean toward 'caution'....if you aren't sure, don't do it.

From my own experience, I found walking (on flat surfaces) is the one thing that has always been good and didn't create more pain for me.

The other thing I keep in mind is "keeping the back in the neutral" position. From this perspective I could see why biking may be a concern...biking you tend to hunch over. But I'm not sure how that relates to a stationary bike.