Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

How many MRI, CT etc is too much?

Kris-NYKKris-NY Posts: 2,207
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:43 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I never thought about this until one doctor said he didn't want to expose me to more testing. Has anyone been told that these tests could have a cummulative bad effect on you? And what is the damage?

• How did the thorasic micro surgury go?
    Herniated T6-7, multiple herniations in cervical, tears in T5-T8. Stenois at levels and smorls nodes from thoracic thru lumbar
  • The MRI without contrast is not a problem. If you need to have it with contrast, there is a risk associated with the gadolinium that is injected to provide the "contrast."

With the CT scan, it is a question of exposure to radiation. Just like you wouldn't want to have too many X-Rays within a certain time period, the same is true with the CT scan.

Also, they are finding out that the levels of radiation from one machine to another vary widely. Some patients are getting much more radiation than was previously thought to be the case.

Then, of course, insurance companies are getting picky on how often they will authorize the expenditure.
  • Thanks Gwennie
    an interesting article
  • anelson the surgery went pretty good. recovery was pretty good. i did have a complication that he fractured my t2 pedical and bruised the t1. my neuro suspects this happened when they were prying the area open to work. I wonder if this would have happened if they had gone in from the front. oh well..

Gwen you are so right about the insurance companies. I was wondering if the doctors are more afraid of them or the machines?
  • I had several ct scans while I was in the hospital post op to diagnosis and then check on my lungs~pneumonia....

thanks for the article!
  • That's one reason doctors don't want to order any more scans than are really necessary...because sometimes you can't help it. You just need to have them.

The doctor that did my first surgery does not X-ray at six weeks to see if fusion has started unless the patient really insists. It is only done out of curiosity, as they aren't going to change the course of treatment if the patient is not showing signs of fusion, and it is just that much more exposure to radiation that is not necessary.