Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Need to Clarify my question IM AFRAID

DelaneyDDelaney Posts: 22
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:43 AM in Spinal Injections
I posted my question but it was not very clear.
My question is, does a cervical facet injection give you a terrible headache. I am having one in May and have heard they give you a killer headache.
I am also allergic to the dye, so I won't have that going for me, or meds before:( Dr. says he can do it without dye.
Im afraid of headahce or even paralized after shot. Please help. Thanks all!!!

• hi and welcome to the forum! :H can i just ask you why no meds before the procedure? nothing to help you relax or prepare for the injection? i have not had experience with cervical injections so i cannot give you any help there but i am sure someone will come along to answer your question... good luck and i do hope it works out for you! Jenny :)
  • They don't go very close to the spinal column with the facet injections (at least that's what my dr. told me, he said he could even do the ones at the broken level). I guess there is still a risk but I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

I had my facet blocks with no sedation and they were quick and easy, no sweat. Today I'm having RF ablation, and I'm getting sedation :) (I am having blood pressure issues, though, so I am not really keen on an hour of anxiety).

Mine were lumbar, but I do get migraines so I figure I'd have gotten a migrain if anyone would have! Relax, I think you'll be fine. I did not find the facet injections very painful at all, and fewer afteraffects than the ESI.
  • MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
    They used a topical numbing medicine ... did them under floroscopy and required no dye. Are you sure they are not talking about a discogram and not a facet nerve block?

Bye the bye ... the injections did nothing for me (or the pain). Nice money maker for them - one of those things that they do before other procedures ... but the don't go anywhere near the cord or the dura so the potential of a headache should be nill.

Have your provider clarify exactally what they are going to do, why, what the results should be, and any risks - side effects.

Good outcomes and less pain,

Spine-health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!