Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Surgery May 17th

GreyEagleGGreyEagle Posts: 350
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:43 AM in Lower Back Pain
I went to see a neuro-surgeon associated with the hospital my wife works at this morning. I had cervical laminectomy one year ago at another hospital.

I went to this surgeon primarily because I get the 20 percent share of cost fee my insurance charges waived because it is being done at the hospital my wife works at.

My wife says everyone loves him. He works quickly and does everything in one surgery if possible. He is performing a 5 level lumbar laminectomy on me. He said my spine is narrowing, causing nerves pinching. He wants to go in and do it all at once so he does not have to go in a second time.

He is also ordering a myelogram (I think thats what its called) for my cervical spine. I am still having just as severe arm pain as I had one year ago when I had my cervical laminectomy. He said I'll have to lay flat for 12 to 24 hours after the procedure. Ugh!

Ken GreyEagle

• that's a lot of fusing ..i thought that they could only do up to 3 levels ??? but i am not well up on fusions { i need a mutli level myself ..but no too sure about it}..i wish you well with your operation and good luck with the recovery
  • Fortunately my surgeon won't be doing any fusions. This is a 4 to 5 lvl laminectomy. He will be removing the lamina on those levels to give my nerve roots more room. My spinal canal has been narrowing.
  • hi and welcome.

5-levels is still a lot even if not a fusion but again, I'm no doctor. Unfortunately gravity works against the spine. I assume when you say your spine canal is narrowing, it's really the discs that are degenerating and causing this narrowing...right?

Did you have 4-levels done in 2009? are these different levels?

What symptoms are you having? I'm so curious so don't mind me on all the questions. I would suspect you are having some nerve issues.

Good luck.
  • Ive had 2 fusions. The first was for a failed disc surgery and that level at S5L1 just collapsed. 10 yrs later the next level needed to be fused. Not to scare u but the hrs spent after this procedure is just the tip of the iceberg. Recovery takes many months.iam 57 and now 1.5 yrs later somwthing else is brewing. I hv an MRI w contrast this Tues. I have been through this so i know the routine. If you need to ask questions please let know. When were in pain almost anything to remove that pain sounds good. My prayers are with you at this very difficult time.
  • DNice said:
    hi and welcome.

I assume when you say your spine canal is narrowing, it's really the discs that are degenerating and causing this narrowing...right?

Did you have 4-levels done in 2009? are these different levels?

What symptoms are you having?
    Good luck.
    I think it is disc degenerating that's causing this. I'm not totally sure. I had a two level cervical laminectomy one year ago this month (April). My neuro surgeon was going to do 4 levels but ended up with 2. One yr later there is no difference at all in my level of pain in my arms.

My new neurosurgeon is having a procedure done to take a good look at my cervical nerve roots (injecting a dye into my spinal canal and having a CT scan). I have to lay flat for 24 hours after this.

I do have pretty severe right leg pain that has been going on for a long time. He looked at my MRI's and decided on 4 or 5 level laminectomy. I also have pretty severe lower back pain. Some of this is from arthritis.

I am having this new neurosurgeon do this because he works in the hospital my wife works in. Otherwise I would have to pay 20 percent of the hospital stay my insurance does not cover.

I'm on SSDI but medicare does not kick in until November of this year.
This discussion has been closed.