Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

12 weeks post op PLIF l4-S1

talia22ttalia22 Posts: 15
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:43 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
not much new i STILL havr not had an xray and its killing me not knowing. i admit i feel better 9aloot) but my legs ache when i stop the neds...getting off them is very hard... i usually always need them in teh morning and i can do all day but still i take a large amount in thre am.

are you who are or have been at the same stage as me- have any suugestions as to how careful i should still be doing. OTHER than bending over i have basically gone back to do the things i usually do

• your post is not very clear .but from what i can make out ..it still very early and you will be in pain its normal ! keep on with your meds as prescribed by your doctor if you are still in pain then go back to your doctor and ask them to review your medication {you may need different or more medication}.if you have any worries regarding your recent surgery then ..again ..go see your doctor ..you have had a big operation and it will take a long time for it to settle down
    good luck
  • Keep in mind that the bones will not be fused solidly for a year. They grow together prior to then but it is not solid and strong until a year. Then exercise and "stressing" the area will make the bone stronger. But before it is set solidly, too much exercise can cause things to slip out of alignment, etc.

Also, remember that from now on you need to be aware of posture, using good body mechanics, etc. Once you are fused, it automatically puts more stress on the adjoining levels, since they are now taking the brunt of the movement that the fused segments can no longer do. If you revert to all your former activities, including those that caused your back the problems in the first place, you will find yourself with problems in adjoining discs.

Sounds like you are doing very well if you are back to most of your prior activities. Just continue to be mindful of the basic precautions.
  • I agree with Straker and Gwennie. I'm 5 months out today:-) I still take my meds when I need them, and am very careful about proper body mechanics. When I feel the pain escalating...I have to stop what I am doing and rest. When I do not listen to my body...I suffer greatly. Every week is a little better...baby steps!!

Take care...