Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

A very personal question for only the ladies here!

blackberrybunnybblackberrybunny Posts: 157
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:43 AM in Lower Back Pain
Now that I have EVERYONE'S attention--yes, I know you men are here too, too curious about my post to stay away, heh heh heh. Ladies, I have a question!!

Do you ever feel like when you get your period the pain in your lower back is worse? Or am I just imagining it? I have annular tears and leakage in my lower discs, not sure if this makes a difference or not.... but today it is bad. Do menstrual cramps do something to my spine that makes it hurt worse when its that 'time of the month?'

I almost got into an early morning argument with my hsuband because he ran me out of the bathroom this a.m. as he needed a shower. Today is "Day 1," know what I mean? I was only in there a half an hour---is that a long time or something? LOL By the time I made it out of the bathroom, I was in such pain I was crying. He didn't know what to do. We have not been able to attach my bidet to my toilet, and twisting around today was really painfull. Boy, that bidet sure would come in handy today, dammit!

Girlfriends, I need a group hug!! I'm miserable. I had to take 2 times my dose of pain meds, and I am still in a lot of pain.

• yes....your menstrual cycle can take a toll on your back pain. If you think about it, it makes sense.

You are not imagining it. If you are able to, take ibuprofin (anti-inflammatory) I found it helps.

• Can I take that with the lortabs? I am scared to mix these things.
  • Yes, although I try to stagger it by an hour or two so my stomach doesn't get too upset. That's what I'm doing today with the extra pain from my RFTC.

And also, you can get kind of an, um, a bidet in a squirt bottle. I had to do that when I had my son because I couldn't wipe at all, I had a second degree perineal tear ;) You might try that next time you go into town? Or order from online?
  • My surgeon told me that your uterus relaxes and puts pressure on your lower back when you have your period.
  • A squirt bottle! Why didn't I think of that!!?? Thanks so much for this tip.

And so the uterus relaxes and puts pressure on our spine? On our back? Ugh... First day is always the worst. Tomorrow is a new day!! ;-)
  • I am with you....I have the same problem-however my pain increases with my PMS (the bloating) and then continues through the first day. I also find that my bladder and bowel problems becom more pronounced during this time as well.---Isn't it great to be a girl?!?!? ~X( :T

I have an appt to meet with the surgeon the first week in may to go over results of discogram and wether or not he will do the four level fusion, less levels, or if i'm just plain S.O.L. have always wondered though if there wasn't some way to stop the girl process (if they can't fix spine, maybe remove girl parts to make at least one week out of the month easier for me)
    '.....now where did I hide that chocolate? :$ :D
  • I hate to say it but I too am with you and dread that time of the month the pain increases expadentialy, and I am waiting on my fusion and disc removal (prolapsed disc L4-L5) and I too suffer worse on day1.

My biggest problem tho is Im alergic to NSAID's (brufen etc) so I go for the basic paracetamol and along with my other pain meds and those nifty warming sticky pads on my back or heat bag strapped to my waist and back and stay in bed.

I too used the old squirty bottle trick after my 2 girls and I used it now too(I got torn both times) and something that too makes it nicer is to use warm water, it is just less harsh I sometimes forget to use warm and the shock of the cold water makes everything jump and hurt like heck.

Anyway hope you feel better soon, even if only just a little bit :-) Take care!
  • I also had the same issue with increased back pain during that "time" of the month until I got the Mirena IUD. I don't get my period anymore and I don't get the cramping or menstrual symptoms at all. I may spot once in awhile but nothing a pantyliner doesn't take care of. Check with your OBGYN about it. There are low dose birth control pills that can help with PMS as well.
  • hormone therapies is that I also suffer from menstral migraines. After my tubes were tied and I dropped hormoned from no longer taking birth control, I had tremmors with the migraines for a few months afterwards until they stabilyzed again...am fearful of messing around too much with that!

I know removal of everything would prolly do the same thing, and a new balance will have to be found-kinda a lose/lose situation... #o
  • I have the mirena, and I love it, but am scheduled to see my OB/GYN this week and will likely have to have it out due to HBP. SOB.
  • Howdy Bunny,

Thanks to an emergency "girly" surgery in '02', half of that stuff is gone, so I ended up in Premi-menopause. As such, my so called cycle is between 1 and 2 days, but I will say this now with my back being mean to me over the last 4 months, YES it does make it worse!

Uterus changes, dunno, I do know that if pain was a 4-6 it moves to around 5-7 for that time period (no pun intended!). Think about this, bloating, hormones change, more bending to ummm...to put protection there etc. It all tolls I guess is the best way to state it. (G) Take care... :-)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Ironically (ha-ha), I had never had any menstrual pains or problems until after I had my second ESI. I was in pain all evening after I had the ESI, and felt some strange new sickly ache in my spine. I woke early next morning in agonizing menstrual cramps (plus nausea and diarrhea) that had me writhing naked on the bathroom floor in an icy sweat. After that I menstruated every other week for two months. Week long, heavy draining periods. The doctor refused to believe it had anything to do with the injection.

Things are not so bad now, but I do have painful periods now, and yes - I feel the uterus or whatever pressing against my spine, and my back aches more; also the burning I have in my hip worsens. I have to take ibuprofin for the pain - which is making my hair fall out. Yes - the aching and burning aspects of my pain worsen. I guess that's inflamatory things running wild in my body.

Thanks for the thread (post?)!
  • Thank you, ladies, for your comments and thoughts. It was just a bad one for me, I guess! All better now, until NEXT month, LOL. Oh, btw, I'm on birth control pills, so my periods have always been pretty easy. But this time, it was rough! I don't know if it had anything to do with the FJI's I had, or what! Usually the Pill makes it sooo smooth and not much of a big deal. But this past time, woooooo-weeeee, rough, ladies, rough!!!
  • I too have had a tubal ligation, they didnt cut the tubes but use the plastic clips, (you can see the little beggers in my xrays lol) but I still get regular periods, and regular increased pain.
    I had my tubes done because I had problems with the pill, the added hormones to my system caused me all kinds of problems, I too had depo provera jabs, but still being hormones was no good either, then I had the merina iud and due to my cervix being low from child birth twice that was no good and I could feel it too (so could my husband :-$ ) I did still have periods though with the merina iud. Last resort was the clips and that was it for me done, I should probably say though it is absolutly non reversable, and Ive had my kids so for me it was the best and only option less celibacy.

Hormone wise, when I had my tubes done I was told that it was safe for me due to the fact that I'd still have my ovaries so there would be no messing with my hormones, cause while they are there still even if the egg cant get down and is reabsorbed by the body every month / cycle the natural process still happens and thus I still get my regular periods thus still having the pain everytime.

So I asked the dr's and they told me that the only thing that would stop the pain being worse at that time of the month is to not have that time of the month, and the only way for me would be a histerectomy, which Id gladly have but there would be all kinds of other problems associated with that!

Wow, being a girl is just sooooooo awesome, isint it LOL!

So I just stick to the things I put earlier and try to bear it with all the rest of the pain, but seriously the paracetamol really does help, it doesnt work for anything else for me but hey, if someone told me a fried egg on my belly would take the pain away I'd be getting my home help lady to cook one up and I be giving it a crak! (Im pretty sure that'd be silly so Im not sugesting we do that, but you get the idea of my desperation :-)).

Hope something helps anyway. KB
  • Hi hon...
    This is certainly not medical advice! Never the less...I do take ibuprophen with my Lortab...jeepers, what else can a person do when the pain is worse and that is all that is available! I no longer have to worry about a period as that ship sailed for me when I was 20 years old (another long story!) but emptying my colon is horendous...I have zero core strength and it's horendous! I pray you can get some relief!
  • Hi DustyGal, when you say you have no core strength, what does that mean?
  • BBB, core strength means all of the muscles of the abdomen and back that basically connect your lower body to your upper body and support your spine.

Here is a good article since I probably botched the definition:

My physical therapist said there was research indicating that the transverse abdominus is major in lower back pain, and doesn't require "big" exercises to strengthen.
  • Unfortunately, for me my real back issues began when I went in and had a total hysterectomy. I came out of the operating room with a herniated disc, and nobody thought to even explore and see why I was having such increased pain. They just thought that I was a whiner because of the surgical pain. I had decided that I had had enough of the pain that endometriosis was causing.

I have to say though and I am not endorsing a hysterectomy for anyone, but it did resolve a ton of the issues that I was having each month. I stopped having migraines, and my hormone-controlled emotional highs and lows became a lot more evened out. Also, the food cravings (fat, sugar) pretty much stopped. I also don't miss my monthly visitor for sure!

It's kind of ironic because the endo was causing my periods to act kind of like back labor. I would have horrible back and lower abdominal labor-like cramping that would start about a week before my period and last for several days following. After the surgery though I was left with chronic lower back pain, not much of an improvement! But, I just wanted you all to know thatI feel for you ladies who still have to deal with this issue on top of your back issues. Isn't it amazing how much we can put up with? Here's hoping that you are all having a mild pain day today!
This discussion has been closed.