Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

intro

shawtysshawty Posts: 2
Hi everyone I have enjoyed if that's the right word! Reading peoples experiences re herniated discs and my own problem came out of the blue when I had sciatica pain due to they suspect lower spine herniated disc Don't know exactly where but having MRI scan next week and I'm under an orthopeadic surgeon . I am just back at work and driving and just being at work is really testing me ! I played contact sport for many years and think I'm paying the price for this. I'm a positive guy but I have found the whole thing isolating and depressing and I cried when I read the letter to Normals on this forum . It seems to speak for me . I have hardly any back pain. But bad ankle and calf pain on one side which makes me limp badly ! Last week a 90 year old guy walking with a stick overtook me walking home and he doffed his cap as I struggled to get near him ! I do all the mckenzie stretches but not much help . Anyone giving me any advice wud be much appreciated esp re making ther ankle pain go
advertisement

Comments

• Hi there...sorry to hear you are feeling as if you are on the other side of "the normals" but glad you found us.

It can be isolating to be in pain and really a challenge for someone who is used to being so active. I looked back at my past wondering if I could have done things differently, would I. After grieving the fact that I had to modify my lifestyle, I realized that I wouldn't change much. The reality is, the fact that I worked out an learned about fitness do's/don'ts actually kept me healthy for this long. I'm 41 and I have had to "give up" running but my PT said...instead of giving it up, just put it at the bottom of your list....and you won't feel so bad. It was silly but true. The reality is...I would run if someone was chasing me.

As for your situation...try to be patient and see what the MRI has to say. There are many conservative treatments that can work. I used PT and other conservative treatments fo 17+ years.

The leg pain is a typical issue with folks with lower lumbar issues. I have no feeling in my back left thigh, buttocks, and left heel to little toe. I also have no ankle reflex. Do I limp? Yes but I have been going to PT and I tell you, it helps. I was compensating for my limp which was causing hip issues. I've resolved those. I now have some knee pain but we are working through that.

The changes aren't dramatic day-to-day or visit-to-visit but This past weekend (after 4 weeks of PT), I realized I could walk around the mall with little pain and no limping. I took that as a win!

I was limping later that evening but to get a hour limp-free...is success.

Things can get better...it's a tough go but that's where folks here can help with suggestions and support.

You aren't alone. Yes, back issues really test our reliance and our ability to stay positive.

Getting overtaken by an old guy walking with a stick is a heart-breaker. But my co-worker told me the other day I walk faster than she does...little does she know, I'm quite motivated by a hungry stomach.

Stick around...
  • Sorry to hear about your ankle pain and calf pain. I take Cymbalta for sciatica and that's helped quite a bit. There's a few other meds they use to help also. I also use ice/heat at times on the leg and foot. Hopefully your Dr. will help you get your pain relieved soon. Best wishes and keep us posted. You're not alone here. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Thanks so much for taking the
    Time to reply . This seems a great forum for talking to people who have been through the mill and I really value your comments . Not totally sure how to find my way round this web site so apologies for not repling quicker . Can I now.add you asa buddy ? All the best
  • I'll add you as a buddy...you just have to accept.

I think in the left menu, you'll see a link "View my buddy list"...and you should be able to see the request there.

I'm quite busy at work (which is good b/c the last 5 months have been tough) but I do get on at night time.
advertisement