Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Surgery tomorrow

mjyfgslmmjyfgsl Posts: 57
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:43 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am having a Laminectomy and a L4-5 Discectomy .I am wondering how long it will be before I will be able to be on line afterward ?

• Depends on if you have a laptop and how good the wi-fi is in the hospital. If you are going to Northshore Manhasset they have excellent wi-fi. Just read the message that comes up when you first try to connect.

Most have pretty good connections these days. The rest is up to you. Good Luck I can't wait to hear how it goes.
  • Hi & good luck.

I agree it will depend.
    Ideally when you are in the hospital, you don't have to worry about being on line. Once you are released, I found working on a laptop laying down is an easy way to be on line.

I had a microdiscectomy at L5-S1 and was text messaging folks a few hours after coming out of recovery....short texts via blackberry and phone but still able to talk somewhat coherantly.

• No laptop ,I was thinking about my PC at home
  • Good luck tomorrow, hope everything goes well for you and you will soon be on your way to a pain relieved life!

When you feel up to posting, let us know how you are doing!
  • on your surgery day.
    Hope that everything goes smoothly and that you wake up comfortable and that you will have a speedy and uncomplicated recovery.

When you can, let us know how you are getting on. :-)
  • I had my Dec.30,09. It has helped me so much. My best advice, even if you think your all better, don`t do anything, except walk and rest. Do very little sitting. I didn`t think alittle washing of clothes, few dishes, would hurt a thing. I was wrong. Listen to your Doctors, it`s does take awhile to heal. even if you think this a small surgery, it` back surgerY!!! Gave yourself plenty of time to fully recover. So important!!!
  • Brenda...your advice is really good!
    Body will feel better faster than it is healed over.
  • It went well but I have Urinary Retention and I'm on my second cathether .I know that according to TOS I am not supposed to mention the hospital but for those who know from PM's ,it was not good-3 hours to get a resident to come and see me ,1 hour to get a pain pill .I could not wait to get out of there .

• hi there,

Are you home? Sounds like the surgery went well, just bladder is slow to wake up after being under. Hopefully that will resolve itself quickly.

I know you can't mention the hospital but I found that if you can have a family member there with you, it's always helpful. Also, I learned that having surgery on a Monday is very different than it was on a Friday. MOnday seems to be such a busy day vs. the Friday I seemed to have much more personal care as most surgeons don't want to operate on Fridays b/c they may be needed on Saturday if issues come up.

It's good to hear from you. Do you feel any relief from the pain yet?
  • Yes ,relief from pain ,minor incisional pain .The only time I got good service there was when they found out my spouse is a medical practictioner and that was on my last few hours there
  • Hi and welcome home.

I hope your recovery is going well and that you're following doctor's orders. Some people want to stop their meds too quickly and let the pain get ahead of them, but it's imperative the first couple of weeks to take your meds on schedule to stay ahead of the pain.

The first few weeks it was easy for me not to do too much because I felt so lousy, but once you start feeling better, that's when you really have to keep yourself under control and still take it easy. Be sure you have some things to keep your mind busy during that time like games, movies, friends, whatever and start walking when you can, a little at first then increase over time.

Glad to hear you're back home after such a bad experience at the hospital. I hate to hear bad hospital stories.

Take care and please keep us posted on your recovery. You might have questions in the coming days and weeks that we can help you with.

• Hopefully now you will improve and heal well with lots of care and attention.
    Sorry your hospital stay wasn't as good as it should have been.

Over to you now to rest and walk and allow your body to heal.