Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

fu with surgeon went well

ileneiilene Posts: 140
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:43 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I had my fu visit with surgeon who said I was 100% fused, which I was thrilled about, but then said when I come back in Sept we will see if I have "fused the rest of the way", I take this to mean I am where I am suppose to be.

While there I told him about my visit to the urologisit, the results of my urodynmaics test, and the fact that my feet still become weak (foot drops at times). Tingling of feet and weakness in arms he assured me all is normal, and should go away in time.

When I told him the neurologist and urologist both think my bladder is a result of my spine, he assured me it wasn't from my C spine, but can be my Lumbar spine. Symptoms got worse right after surgery, but so did arms when I found thru MRI's I had cord compression and herniated discs in the thoracic spine. He then checked my reflexes in legs, feet and arms and said how they were completely healed, my neurolgist told me they aren't normal, but are better since surgery.

My bladder is my biggest problem, worse to me then any amount of pain or weakness. Does anyone else have trouble with their bladder? How do you handle it? How do you manage? The urologist gave me 4mg of valium to reduce the spasms in my pelvic floor, I find the valium is helping my neck and lower back, more then it is helping my bladder. I was told there is no surgery, that my bladder is neurogenic, which I new,and does not have any contractions. Does anyone else deal with this? Am I alone?

Thanks for listening,

• I don't have anything I can say to help you wih the bladder issues, only to say that keep exploring and don't give up trying to find out what's happening.

I'm so glad that you had a good follow-up and that your fusion is going well. That in itself has to be a relief and can allow you to focus on taking care of the other things that you need answers for.

I hope your nerve issues do resolve over time - I know it can take a lot of time for those nerves to heal and can be frustrating.

Just hang in there, Ilene. We'll be here through your journey and help you when and where we can.

• It always amazes me when one doctor says one thing and another tells you the opposite. Your surgeon is priceless to say you are 100% fused but come back in 4 months so we can see if you fused the rest of the way... 120% must be the new 100%

I am always wary of what the doctors are saying. Need to think carefully about their answers and if they have another reason for what they are saying. Are they trying to fill their appointment book or send work to their buddy who owns the MRI place.

Sometimes I think the surgeons are in a rush to have you all healed and to say that the surgery was a complete success so that they look like a hero. I would continue to follow up with your neurologist. You might also look in the city for a urologist who has experience with spine patients. I am sure there are sub-specialties out there.