Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

edited 06/11/2012 - 8:43 AM in Upper Back Pain, Thoracic
Hello all,

New to this site and like most here suffer from an unreal amount of back, neck, and chest pain. I am diagnosed with T4 chronic pain and have yet to find a dang person who can help me out, I choose not to fo surgery because it would be exploritory at best. The xrays are not conclusive...anyways, I am starting a new chiro practice next week called nucca. Focusing on the cervical area for complete refief.

Anybody tried this? Any feedback?

• Welcome Curtis

You say you have pain but no diagnosis. What types of docs have you seen? Also did you have an injury or is this just day-to-day strain on body?

I would be careful doing anything until you know where the pain is coming from. Any treatment, especially chiro, can do terrible damage when you don't know what is wrong. Also you are taking a shot in the dark at treatment. You could have a herniated disk at T4 and cervical treatments will do nothing.

Before starting this treatment I would get another opinion from a neurologist and an orthopedist. Not surgeons! Unfortunately not much is known about thoracic because it is so difficult to treat. But don't give up. You may need to go to a teaching hospital in a larger city to find the right doctors.
  • Kris,

Thanks for the reply, my injury is sports related. In specific racquetball, it started over a year ago with a dislocated right shoulder that went untreated for 4 months. I just thought I had a sprain or normal discomfort from over doing it on the courts.
    My primary care provider and homeopathic chiropractor have combined to give my the probably T4 problems but have said xrays are not conclusive and that they have no avenues to work with it. I tried accupuncture and deep tissue/trigger point massage with no results. I even hired a PT for a few weeks but just turned out to be a waste of cash.
    At this point I have to try something....breathing is uncomfortable, the circle of pain around the thoracic spine is challenging my quality of life and I refuse pain pills due to the habit forming possibilities with chronic pain.

If NUCCA isn't the right choice, by chance someone reading this can offer advice.

I do get numbing in the fingers and have less then optimal cervical range of motion as well.

• Curtis,

Not wanting to "echo", but I FULLY agree with Kris. Try and get with an Orthopedist or Neurologist before you even start any Chiropractic treatment. Thoracic (see my sig) is a bi***h, and to mess it up more, major agony!

I am sorry to hear you are hurting. I would hate to see your pain increase, or further you have further damage. You have a "known" sports related connection, so do yourself a favor and have an expert of the SPINE (Orthos come in all sort of flavors, okay) take a real good look, and of course, give you a full exam. Please keep us posted on how you do.

Welcome to the site!

Ps... unfortunately, the "land of thoracic" isn't common, and as such, even on this awesome site, it is hard to get specific answers sometimes. Support *HUG*

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • That's what many people think about me but it couldn't be further from the truth. I am a no nonsense person and tend to have no patience for wasting time or idiots. Guess my people skills are lacking but my heart and head are in the right place.

OK you have a suspected thoracic injury. How the H*** does your doc get that from a shoulder injury?? Thoracic injury is rare because thta part of the body is so well built to protect your body core. Unlike the rest of the spine the T-spine is connected to the ribcage which is interconnected with muscles and ligaments which all forms this super strong cage. The only way to damage the t-spine is through massive direct trama(think baseball bat) or even more massive indirect trama (high fall or severe impact). So unless you were run over by a train on that racketball court I would really doubt t4 is your problem.

However the shoulder is a crazy area as I can tell you from experience. And many different things will create the same symptoms. I had a minor rotator tear that mirrored my herniation pain. So my ortho who specializes in shoulders did rotator surgery and then we found out it didn't help. I was lucky that a radiologist happened to see the t1/t2 problems at the edge of my c-spine MRI. It then took several doctors before I found one with an open mind.

You need to see an orthopedist (not surgeon) who specializes in spine and shoulder. Might be hard to get both in one so I would start with shoulder since that is how your injury began. If you are in the NY area I can recommend someone. Otherwise you can search on this site for doctors. A MRI and CT scan will give the info that the doctors need to come to a correct diagnosis.

Please Please do not start any chiro or other treatment until you have seen an ortho.
  • I appreciate the feedback, that's the reason I joined this site. I got thick skin unless that was your passive/aggressive way of calling someone an idiot but I will give you the benifit of the doubt... With that said, I am currently enrolled in paramedic training and have a years worth of back ground in anatomy, just scratching the surface though, so I understand the strength of the thoracic region. At this point I am trying to get some alternative information from this site due to my primary care takers not being qualified or competent enough to give me a proper medical diagnosis.
    Looking at your post it sounds like you had similar problems with doctors as well. I am looking into the suggestions and have pushed the NUCCA appointment out a few months to try and see an orthopedist that specializes in spine or shoulder. I found one close by waiting for a call back now, some of these speciaists have a refferal issue due to BS insurance regulations.
    Anyways, thanks again for everyone info and any further assistance that can be given.

• I didn't mean you. I meant the doctors. Although if you wouldnt see an ortho I might have included you in that grouping - lmao.

A few things to keep in mind when seeing the ortho and a neuro if necessary. First keep a written log of pain along with date, what you were doing and what helped relieve it. Bring someone with you to appt if possible and take notes. And keep an open mind. I would try to think back to when the injury occurred and write it down. we all have a tendancy to self diagnose and now you have some other thoughts from your gp. You will get better results from the ortho if you go in with accurate and unbiased info. Let the doc do his job. PS you do know that medical professionals are usually the worst patients....

Good Luck and let me know how you make out.
  • Kris,
    The going to the ortho is the one clear message I have read loud and clear in my short time on this site...and I'm going. A little dissapointed that my doctors have failed me and I'm getting more potent and useful information from strangers that have understanding and compassion for simalar Heath problems. I wonder why the docs never suggested this, rather they try and shove medicine down my throat.
    I will keep ya posted and am glad you chose to reply to this post. You been helpful!

• I always tell my kids to follow the money trail. When they have social studies homework and can't understand why we fight wars I tell them to follow the money. For example the Cival War wasn't about freeing the slaves. That was only a way to economically cripple the southern farmer and give the north more economic power. Follow the money.

Why would you expect that a doctor who came out of school at 30 with hundreds of thousands of dollars in school bills, who pays outrageous malpractice insurance, needs a staff just to see patients and gets paid what the insurance companies think is fair would be worrying about you first???? I don't mean they are heartless (that's me remember) but I do think they are forced to consider how they will keep the patient coming back and what procedures they can do to increase the billing.

This is why I don't like doctors who have PT and MRI and all the other crap in their practice. Also don't particularly like pain management since they are a never ending treatment not a cure. There are times when PM has a purpose to postpone surgery or when there are no other treatments but this needs to be approached very carefully.

As far as their knowledge you will find that doctors do what they are taught. If they were told that this vertabrae means this pain you will never convince them that you are getting a different pain. I can show them 20 people with that problem and that pain and they still won't believe it.

We were raised to believe that the doctor was your friend. It hurts to realize that this just isn't true any more.
  • This is my first post here. I see this was posted some time ago, so I was wondering if you had had a good experience with NUCCA treatment?

I am facing a similar problem with a herniated S4 disc. If you did follow this treatment where did you go? Do you have a site that you can recommend? I have been reading up about NUCCA Chiropractor

Post edited to remove name of medical professional and or facility. by Authority Member Liz

Curtis Bailey T4 said:
    Hello all,

New to this site and like most here suffer from an unreal amount of back, neck, and chest pain. I am diagnosed with T4 chronic pain and have yet to find a dang person who can help me out, I choose not to fo surgery because it would be exploritory at best. The xrays are not conclusive...anyways, I am starting a new chiro practice next week called nucca. Focusing on the cervical area for complete refief.

Anybody tried this? Any feedback?