Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hello (Again!!)

dorset boyddorset boy Posts: 148
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:43 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi Guys,

I am not exactly a new member but it has been almost a year since lasted posted on here or even logged in!!

For those of you that have helped and supported me in the past - A Heart felt thank you and sorry!!!

So much has happened in the last year - not much of it good but I aim not to whinge (vent) to much (!!!).

For anyone that i left hanging and didn't reply too - don't think of me badly!?!

I'm not in a good place at the moment pain wise but no doubt there will be a few posts about that soon !! LOL

Southern England

• For better or worse welcome back!

And don't be shy - fill us in on your last year.
  • Sorry to see you're still struggling but glad you're back for some friendship and support. Vent away when you want we're here for you. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Thanks for your message.
    there will be a few posts coming in the next few days and I need to update my profile!!
  • Good to hear from you again!
    I feel a little guilty about disappearing for such a long time!!
    To be honest I have very much missed the friendship & support that has been offered here previously, so hence i am back!!
  • nice to have you back ...but sorry you had too!! contact me anytime i am still on the same email
  • I will reply to your PM in the morning.
    I am heading home to bed soon as I am having a v bad day!!
  • I remember chatting with you previously and glad to see you back. I was also off here for almost a year and pop in here and there. I really miss the friendships and support that I've gotten from everyone here.

Feel free to PM if you'd like. I look forward to reading your updated posts. I know exactly what it's like to be struggling in so much pain that it's even hard to get on SH and communicate.

I just had another surgery last monday(4/19/10) so I've been on here a little bit. I had PLIF L4-S1 plus grinding down of broken screws that were pushing on nerves.

Take care and hope to be reading more from you soon.
  • I wondered where you'd run off too, but will read the update. Welcome back - we're still here to give help and support.

• Good to hear from you and to be honest really good to be back on here!!

I'd forgotten how much help and support there is here!!

I have also told quite a few people about the site and hope to met a few of them on here!!

The last year has been pretty bad, I've had to move offices, pain clinic has been a nightmare - mainly because I can't get to see anyone - haven't been for 6 months and don't yet have another appointment for treatment - last time I saw them they told me in front of 8 other paitients and 3 staff that "this is it, accept that you are disabled, it won't get better and you should consider giving up work on health grounds" and that isn't happening quite yet!!
    I also lost my business in the recession and I am now working for my ex-business partner - there are just the two of us now and we have done nothing but live form hand to mouth for the last 16 months!!

Well enough of that for now!!!

Once again thanks to all and I am glad to be back!!

• I haven't met you...so no need to apologize here.
    I joined up in August/September of 2009.

I'm sorry you are forced to come chat with us again (since it seems it is the result of pain) but glad you feel like this is a helpful place.
  • its always a pleasure to talk to new people on here and thanks for your welcome.

the main reason for me being back was as you rightly said pain plus a bad experience this week with a new surgeon that left me in tears - this will be a new topic soon - I am still angry!!

I am usually around during the day UK time swo stop by and say hi if you see me on line.

PS i've already seen some of your posts !!

• Ian, I like you tell everyone about spine-health as well. I haven't met anyone I told on here yet but I'm hoping they are atleast reading the information and getting comfort from our posts. I have ALOT of friends and family with back/chronic pain. It's amazing how many people it affects.

I also suggest to all my doctors that they should tell their patients about this site. Not just for the info but for the support. There are so many sufferers who are depressed and feel like they have no one who understands how they feel. That's when I found this site and it's made a huge difference in my emotional well-being.

I'll keep spreading the word cuz this site has helped so many including myself.
  • Hi Ian

Welcome back and I'm sorry that surgery didn't help and now you have to be on all that pain medication just so that you can cope.

Losing your business and being told to accept being an invalid is too much for anyone to bear without support. Good that you're now able to work for your former business partner, even though it sounds like it doesn't pay much.

Hoping that there will be better days ahead for you.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • Good to hear from you!!

I found Spine Health by chance and mentioned the site to my Spinal Surgeon before my last operation and he laughed at me and said that he had been using it as a referrence point for some time but hadn't really looked at the forum pages.

The next time I saw him he said that he had been looking around and thoguht it was great and would tell some of his patients about it.

I really like spreading the word as I realised last year that there were 25 people in my small town (pop 10,000) that I knew by sight, but didn't really know, who were in similar situations to myself and there was no ( and still isn't) support network for us.

Whilst under the Spinal team there are Nurse Practitioners that we can contact if we run into trouble but now I am only under the Pain Clinic there is nothing. I see them for treatments and might if I am lucky get to ask a couple of questios whilst they are form filling with me.

Usually I have to run the gaunlet of pain whilst they are carrying out the procedures to allow me to ask questions about further treatment / whats next etc etc as I do not get follow up appointments now - I used to get a 5 minute telephone call but even these have stopped now as they are too busy!!

Speak to you soon Ming

• Thanks for your message!!

To be honest the operation did work - apart from the nerve damage & drop foot!!

My problem is that I push myself too hard and tend to inadvertantly do stupid things!! Which leads to further problems!!

I am also very clumsy - in my early 20's I lived in Jersey one of the "Chanel Islands" (small group of Islands between UK & France, not often seen on non UK produced maps!!) and whilst there my nick name was "The Crash Test Dummy" which pretty much says it all!! LOL

I am not ready to give up without a fight or giving things a chance but I push it too far and it does tend to backfire on me!! LOL

I have to learn to calm down and start to accept certain limitations - whilst not giving up!!

Work isn't great at the moment but I work selling & lettings property and we all know how poor that market is at the moment!!

• Ian,

It sounds as if you have the same situation with your pain mgmt clinic as I do. My doctor has no personality and no empathy. There are many times I've come in there in tears cuz I was in such pain...including last week when I was only given 5/325 percocet after being discharged from hospital after having 2level fusion and was unable to control my pain.

She just writes me new scripts every month asks my pain level and to walk a couple feet and then back and see you next month. I had to ask her if I wanted to try different treatments besides increasing my meds to the point that I couldn't function and was sleeping all the time. I asked for tens unit and to try the ESI's. The only reason I knew about these options was from the research and advice I've found on here.

What about those who don't know about this site and trust that they are getting the best and only options from their doctor that they don't question it? I never found this site until after my first fusion. Now I go into my appts each time with a list of questions and I've already done my research so I know what I am talking about. Luckily, I have this site to come to when I am feeling down and need to talk about it and need support for the days that I'm not at my best.

I too was very active before my back got bad and did really stupid things. Even after my first fusion I was pushing myself and doing too much. I was weeding garden at 2wks post op. Push mowing my yart at 4wks as well as raking my yard and pulling weeds. It hurt like heck but my surgeon insisted there was nothing I could do to hurt the hardware or the fusion. He said I needed to push thru the pain, get more active, lose weight and get off the pain meds. I was even riding my 4wheeler through our trails which are pretty rough and I'm clumsy as well and took a nice fall 2-3 months post op. All this contributed to 2 screws breaking.
  • Like Ming says how do people know unless they're educated and armed with knowledge and good to get the word out on different treatments from others.

For me I've been to 3 Pain Management Drs. and was suggested different things for my pain.
    First PM Dr.- Trigger point injections
    -Infrared Platinum Heating Pad for pain from annular tears. 2 Epidurals(caudal) uncomfortable

Second PM Dr.-Cymbalta for sciatica pain
    -facet joint injects & 3 epidurals

Third PM Dr.-2 Epidurals(caudal)and S1 and hip injections no pain during these hardly

Always get at least one other opinion for any treatment or surgery.
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • oh I couldn't stand the treatment that you are gettting! Can't you go back to you PCP and get them to sort out your prescriptions etc - my GP does them for me not the pain clinic - only once on a follow up appointment with spinal surgeon did he prescribe a repeat prescription for me then I had a row with the pharmacy as they questioned the amount of tablets as he had left it up to me!! Se called him and he shouted at her that it was up to me !!!! LOL I was in stitches !!
    the worst thing is that you are paying for this as well - either privately or through your insurance!!! Can't you change??
    In the UK you have limited choice of service providers - usually the hospital closest to you with a spinal surgeon and what they say goes - most people do not know that they have choices and second opinions are actually quite rare!!as far as I can see!!!
    I don't know how to reach other people to let them know apart from chance encounters and conversations!???
    I hope you are having a good day?
  • Like I said to Ming, we in the UK don't get that kind of choice - we go to the nearest hospital who provide the services and we have to put up with waiting upto 4 months for scans - atleast two months even for an urgent one and you can wait months for an appointment to see someone either in clinic or for treatment. The last time I saw anyone was November 3rd last year and I don't yet know when I will see anyone again!!!! Thank god it is my GP that deals with my pain medication!!!!!
  • Hi Ian,
    Thanks for your concern. At one point my primary doctor was prescribing my pain medication but never felt 100% comfortable doing this so he also advised me to go to the pain clinic.

With the stigma of narcotic pain meds and those that abuse them, doctors' are leary to prescribe them. Unfortunately, it complicates matters for those of use who suffer with chronic pain and truely depend on these medications to be able to function at a tolerable pain level.

My only other option is to ask to be referred to another pain mgmt clinic which would be same place different doctor. Sometimes when you do this, you face the risk of looking like a drug seeker and may be dropped from their contract. I feel at their mercy. I've always been a good patient, not taking more meds than I'm supposed to (other than after surgery because they didn't give me a high enough dosage to manage my pain levels), I've passed my drug tests as I don't take anything other than what I'm prescribed.

I shouldn't complain because being in the U.S. I do have more options than those such as yourself that live in the UK. I just can't stand the lack of personality and empathy of some of these doctors.
  • I know what you mean about the stigma about narcotic pain meds, I always worry that someone is going to look at my meds and say no chance you don't need all of these.

At least with my GP I can sit down and talk to her like a human being and explain wheere I am at, I have refused some of her suggestions for drugs such as amitriptlyne which I just can't get on with, I go manic and then crash and burn with it - she listens to me, we discuss things and she trusts me!!! I try and go in there armed with the info I need to make informed decissions with her and ask the right questions.

It is not right that you have to endure this knid of treatment, but likewise do not feel ashamed when you get, there make them take the time with you - your paying for it afterall !!!!!

Over here for many years GP's have handed out drugs like candy - you would not believe how many middle aged, middle class women are hooked on antidepressants etc!!!!!

I would try your PCP again, go in level headed, explain the full situation, ask the right questions and you may find that he / she is more willing to work with you as you will have persuaively(Sp!!) put a good case across.

Well anyway I hope that you are having as good a day as you can!???!

Take care