Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Do the plates and screws ever get removed silly me

ellineellin Posts: 188
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:43 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
ok my preopt appt was the 10th of may but need to change it due to my boss not letting me off that day. I am having a 3 level fusion in the neck. I have lots of questions for my Dr. but you all know better what to except. All i was told is the dic is getting drilled out a spacer put in and plates and screws what is this bone thing do they need bone and do I give it?? The Dr, told me about healing it depends on how fast my bone grows. What did he mean? And the hardware does that ever need to come out? Please dont laugh. Thx

• First off don't be embarrassed to ask any questions. Now is the time you need to ask all the questions and get the answers. As far as the plate and screws although they aren't needed any longer once a fusion happens they are hardly ever removed. If there is no problem with the hardware there is no need to do a extra surgery. Basically when it comes down to the bone growing they are talking about the space where the disc is now will eventually become solid bone. You will have solid bone from the first level to the bottom level they are fusing.

As far as fusing itself somethings can slow that down such as smoking, arthritis, the amount of space the bone has to cover up. What type of bone will you surgeon be using allograft(cadaver bone), autograft(your bone) or some type of synthetic material. This is something you should definitely go over with your surgeon and his/her success with each material. Here is a list of questions you should know the answers to, in my opinion before heading to surgery. It may also help you formulate other questions for you.

I myself and a 3 level fusion and if i can be of any more help to don't hesitate to pm me. Take care.
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    Hardware (plates, screws, rods, etc) used in spine surgery are not usually removed unless they become problematic. Unfortunately I've seen where doctors remove it, for no reason, less than a year after surgery and often people are not yet at maximum fusion at that time so it's way too soon. The hardware is meant to be there forever. I recently had additional low back surgery and they had to remove the old hardware (17 yr old) to get to the new area to be fused and thus put all new hardware in.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos