Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Saw Pain Mgt NP

TraseeTTrasee Posts: 571
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:43 AM in Pain Management
I had my first visit with Pain Mgt Nurse Practioner today. That had to be one of the most thorough exams I have received since I started having back problems 4 yrs ago. NP seems to be on same wave length, nerve damage and muscle spasm.

I am going to keep up my PT, of course. My medications were changed to MS Contin 15mg 2x's a day and Neurontin 300mg 3 x's a day Hydrocodone 7.5/500 for b/t pain. All the changes in hopes of controlling my pain so I can be more active. Walking 2 blocks daily and pt 2 x's a week aint getting it. I want to walk miles!! I am looking forward to seeing if this is more helpful. I have heard lots of bad things about the nerve medications, but I am willing to try just about anything. And a generic is a good thing for my wallet.

Onward and Forward! No looking back.

Thanks for reading,
Traci
advertisement

Comments

• I am also having trigger point injections next Tuesday. Those sound like a good plan :)
  • :D :D :D :D
    Sorry I'm not up on your current situation as I've been on SH inconsistently lately. If I remember correctly, you had gone back to work. Are you still working? Sounds like you're having a boatload of pain. If you are still working, how do you function at work with the meds you're taking?

Sounds like that NP was great. It's so distressing to be just passed through like french fries through a pass thru window in the drive thru lane 8} .

You know I started walking again last week around my neighborhood -- did 50 minutes the first day and another 50 a day later. Felt great UNTIl all the joint pain set in --- I had to pull out the oxy yesterday -- felt like all my joints had lost their lubrication and were pulling my muscles too tight. I know how frustrating it is to make some forward progress and than get slapped back down.

Take care of you and look foward to hearing how the new med line up works for you.

BYE YALL!

Judy
  • Hey Judy,

Thanks for the reply, I hate to hear you are having a lot of pain too. Maybe it's just something we have to learn to live with. I am currently off work on a leave of absence. I was just unable to sit and stand at my work station. I have leave until May 19th. I am hopeful, that in the next few weeks I can get some relief with better pt and new meds. Hopefully the injections will help, as well.

I really feel this has to be the change I need. I have been very down about my recovery and new added pain. This whole process has been such a
    stressor.

Hugs,
    Traci
  • Sounds like you had a good appointment and liked the new pain management person. Does she work with a doctor or how is that handled?

Don't start off worrying about side effects from neurontin. Many people do just fine on nerve meds. I've been on both Neurontin and Lyrica on several different occasions. My surgeon just put me on Neurontin, again, but just one at bedtime. Neither one did much for me, but I am having a new type of nerve pain, so he wanted me to try this, taken at a lower dosage and just once per day.

Remember that it takes awhile for Neurontin to "kick in." You won't know for awhile whether it is working, or not. Did she tell you to build up gradually?

I hope you get good results from your new medications.

Gwennie
  • Hi Gwennie,

The NP I saw does work with a Dr. And she made sure to instruct me how to build up the dosage of Neurontin. I am only taking it at night the first week, second week twice a day and third week three times a day. She said exactly the same thing, it takes a while to tell if it is working. I am hopeful!!

Thanks,
    Traci
  • It sounds like this NP is very thorough and I'm glad you got some pain meds so it takes the pain down so you can get exercise and sleep. I hope this can help you have a better recovery from surgery. Praying for your complete recovery. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Thanks Charry,

This has been an ordeal. I hope they can help too. It's funny, I was reading your signature the other night and realized how many things you have had and no surgery. I am so happy that you have been able to find some relief finally without going to that extreme. Now that mine is done, I wonder if it was a mistake but it's done, so I'm just finding a way to cope and feel better.

Hugs,
    Traci
  • Glad your appointment went well. Here's hoping you are on the road to feeling better!

Take care,
    Lisa
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,732
    It sounds like your appointment went well. I hope you get good results with all of the new changes and additions. And I sent you a pm.
    Good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • Traci,

That is great you found someone that you feel is very thorough and get along with well. I too take MS Contin and I have no problems with it making me feel drugged (I take 60mg 2x a day), when I was on a lower dose I did notice it was not working for as long as they say it does and I had to take 3 a day. It took me a week or so for it to not give me a head change and now when I take one I cant even feel it (but it does work for me, because if I miss a dose I'm in lots of pain).

As far as the Neurontin, I know there are many people that this works wonders for. I have tried a few nerve meds and I dont do well with them, they put me in a fog and dont seem to help with my pain? Everybody is different of course and I wish you the best with this.

Hope to hear good news from you soon and I will catch you in chat........ Mitch
  • Thanks for the comments. You know it means a lot to me. I am hopeful it will help and have a plan I am working now. I love it when a plan comes together 8}
  • Hi Traci,

Good Luck with the new medications. I hope that this new combonation really helps get the pain under control so you can move the amount that you want to. I also wanted to mention that if the trigger point injections are lidocaine injections, I get them each week. If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me. They have really helped me with my muscle pain and spasms. This has really helped me to be able to continue for the longest time with a Physical Therapy program. I find that warm, aqua-pool therapy has been the best by far for me. Please keep us updated with your progress. Good Luck !!
    ((((((Traci))))))

hugs,
    glo :)
  • It's so great when things do start to come together isn't it? I'm happy to hear you are moving forward with a pain mgt plan. I was on neurontin, it worked well, until my body got used to it, then I maxed out on dosage that my insurance allowed. I started on Lyrica in Feb, and it has worked the same, however I've gained weight on it, not too happy about that.
    I got the trigger point injections done weekly as well, and they gave me such relief from the spasms, even if only for a few hours, but it allowed me to relax and actually get some good sleep during those hours! I hope they do the same for you! Good luck with it all!
    Kelly
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • Thanks Kelly!! I am always hoping for the best but prepared for the worst. I haven't experienced any side effects from either new medication, except for dry mouth. But, that is awful!!

Traci
  • Sigh, I am having trigger point injections tomorrow. I know they aren't "supposed" to be as bad as facet injections, but I am scared. My last round of injections were awful. I'm wishing for sedation, but they don't do sedation for TPI's. Too bad for me!!

Traci
  • Traci,
    We all come to appoint when we need to change tack and find an alternative strategy on the basis that the old one is not working, we only have a finite list and it is an amalgam of new ideas that makes us feel refreshed and hope that we have more control in managing pain. Not looking back is a psychological advantage in that although we reflect on the past we do not let it influence the future decisions we make, this is one mandatory key to managing pain more effectively.

Pain teaches us about ourselves, setting realistic short term objectives encourages us to try more and see what works for us and what does not; I applaud anyone trying to help themselves and looking towards the future.

Your renewed enthusiasm is a measure of the effort you are making, it is you, who is adapting and changing for the better, accepting and creating new possibilities for improvement, seeing they have value, this is your success.

I have individual strategies for improvement which are constantly reviewed, evaluated and changed, how is the walking going.

Take care and good luck.

John

• John,

Thanks for the kind words. You summed up my journey very well. If I wasn't looking forward, I have no idea where I would be. I have one thing going for me. I am willing to try just about anything that will ease my pain. That alone makes pushing forward worthwhile. I am determined to get the better parts of my life back.

Thanks,
    Traci
  • Injections are finished. I had 5 and they weren't as bad as I thought they would be. I am having muscle cramps now but that is normal. I hope the steroids help!! I am thinking positive thoughts.

I hope everyone is well :)

Hugs,
    Traci
  • I'm glad the trigger point injections went well for you and hopefully it will provide much needed relief. If you have muscle relaxers, go ahead and take them as prescribed for the spasms. I also like to use a heating pad for the spasms and pain. Are you tolerating the MS Contin ok? I was on them until I became allergic, and I took 3 60mg tablets daily along with the immediate release version for BT pain (MSIR 15mg). The side effects I had were tiredness and drowsiness but it should decrease in time if you are experiencing this. Take care
  • I hope all these new meds and the tp work to ease your pain. Keep us posted on how you are progressing ok.

Candy
advertisement