Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Incisions won't heal

j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:43 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I go back to see the surgeon tomorrow. It was supposed to be just to take the staple out of one incision. The other had the new glue. And for some reason the third was small and had stitches. But 2 won't close up all of the way and are leaking, and red, they look fresh and infected. So I don't know what will be done.
The scs rep. Was supposed to program my new scs. But I have so many different pains coming from those places and the XLIF fusion I had in Jan. That I'm not sure that would be a good idea.
I'm having to many problems on things that were supposed to be simple compared to all of the other surgeries I've had. When it comes to surgery, I guess nothing is simple. Oh well, I'll find out tomorrow. I need some good news for a change. I'm getting real bitchy X( . And depressed :| .
Click my name to see my Medical history
You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!

• MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
    Fine kettle of fish! I am so sorry that you are having these new and "exciting" issues.

You would think by now they would have found the single best way to close a wound. I never did like the "super glue" you shut idea but it seemed to work fine on both of my anterior incisions ... they used the old staple gun on my posterior ... and plain old disolvable stiches on my hip incision.

Do they have you on antibiotics as a precationary measure??

Start writing your list of questions for them so that you are prepared for tomorrow ... Is it possible for guys to be bitchy? I thought we only got crabby or were axx-holes. I guess we'll let the ladies answer that one.

Regards and shared concern,

Spine-health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!

• j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    D, They had me on them twice before the surgery and once after. Maybe the third time will be a charm? I hate the word axxhole unless I'm using it! image:)" alt=">:)" height="20" /> And I save it for special occasions and special people! }:) My wife has been calling me bitchie, cause she can't use the other word without causing world war 3! :*
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • So sorry to hear that you are having incision problems too.
    It sounds like they were doing a research project on the best way to close an incision on you
    Which was the most effective method?

Just today, I have been told that my incision is healing at last! :-)
    the infection has gone, the unhealed bit is now shorter and it has a scab.
    There is hope that I will be able to get rid of this dressing.
    About time! I will be 6 weeks post op tomorrow!!

I hope they get yours under control soon and that things will heal and you can get your scs programmed so it can start doing it's job.

These after surgery problems are a pain in the ---- (fill in the appropriate answer)
  • MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
    These days docs just love using "Broad spectrum" antibiotics. Maybe for your list tomorrow you could ask - insist that they actually do a culture with antibiotic sensitivity testing. That way they will actually know that the antibiotic they are putting you own will be effective against the pathogen that may be present.

I used to grow those in an incubator when I was a P.A. back in the "dark ages" of medicine. I seem to remember decanting (pouring out) radioactive isotopes and serum - blood right down the old drain back then also. Long before gloves were used for blood draws.

Funny the things I can remember - I can't remember what I had for lunch yesterday!

Demand agressive treatment - we don't need no stinkin MRSA.

Spine-health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!

• I agree with Metalneck...I would want a sensitivity on the culture of the wound, so to make sure you are on the appropriate antibiotic.

Also, my hospital is doing nasal swabs for MRSA one week before having a fusion. If you test positive, then you get an antibiotic onitment nasally that should prevent a wound infection for the immediate postop period. My swab was overlooked on my preop testing, and had to demand that it be done before my surgery.

for all of the input everyone. Jelly, the good old fashion stitches worked best! The Dr. office called this afternoon and said the surgeon would be leaving early. So would I like to come in 1 hr earlier or see the P.A......that was a no brainer!
  • I swear,ya'll need to come to Texas,sit on the back porch with me and hubby,drink margaritas,watch the sunset,and watch the donkeys and goats play.I am so sorry!
  • I want to watch the donkeys and goats !! and the margaritas don't sound half bad.....
  • Jeannie,
    I'll be on the next flight
    See you soon :-)
  • Of course!!!!!Everyone is invited!!!!!We will start early afternoon,so we can sit in the sun and warm our spiney bones and joints.At dusk we will have a campfire and roast hotdogs and make smores!!!!!
  • I'm there too! Sounds wonderful!

• ok, I need a translation please??

• LOL Jelly -

I'm a former Girl Scout (think they're called Girl Guides in the UK), and s'mores are critical to successful camping. Here's the recipe:

Graham crackers
    Hershey's milk chocolate bars (or Cadbury would work as well)

Toast marshmallows over the campfire to desired degree of doneness, place between 2 graham crackers w/ a square of the chocolate, squish together and enjoy! Just let them cool a bit since hot sugar can give you a bad burn.

• Can't believe my girl guide camping days we didn't have those!
    We did toast the marshmallows, but fancy leaving out the chocolate!! I'll concede that the graham crackers are necessary to hold it all together. We don't have those - I wonder what our equivalents are. Any ideas?
    I wonder if they would take me back in the girl guides!
  • do you have crackers that maybe have honey or sugar in them?
  • But you could probably just use a sweet biscuit :-)
    by my ortho! He said that's why it's taking so long to close up. He said, when they got me on the table, they could actually see the ipg. He said in 1 more day, It would have worked it's way out of the skin. So there was nothing left to sew. And he had to be a plastic surgeon for a day! It's pretty ugly, he should not ever quit his day job! He said, it's only been 10 days since the surgery, your rushing things a little. And that why it looks that way. It's not actually infected anymore. Just inflamed, leaking, and puffy.
    They obviously put the new unit in a new pocket and he said that one is almost closed up. The ANS rep reprogrammed me and although it was very difficult and took over 2 hrs. He got 4 programs that should be beneficial to me!
    I had forgot that this was also my 3 mo. post op XLIF fusion check up and x rays. Everything looked good and most importantly, I asked if I had achieved 30% fusion yet. And he said NO, more closer to 50%. So that means the restrictions are lifted. And I can concentrate on my mothers cancer and care! So I'll be relocating down in the valley for a while.
    Jeanie, I'll need a rain check on that Texas sunshine.
  • Great to hear that you are fusing and the restrictions are lifted!---you have definitely been through enough!!!I know you will feel better close to your mom-my prayers are with you-keep in touch-----we have lots of sunshine,so anytime
  • :D Nice to get an update on you. Great news about the 50% on the fusing.

Take care of you and I'll keep your mother on my prayer list. She's lucky to have a caring son.

• Jim,

Glad to hear that you're improving and hopefully on the way to an easier recovery. Thoughts and prayers to you, your mom and family.

• Jelly,

The closest thing to a graham cracker would be a digestive biscuit, in fact, you could probably use the ones w/ a chocolate topping and just add the toasted marshmallow. Fair warning, they're like potato chips (crisps), it's hard to stop at just one!

• It's good to hear that you received some positive news. Best of luck to you over the next few months. Take it easy and don't over do things. Let that new IPG do its magic for you and keep on fusing!

• That's made my mouth water :-)
  • For already fusing 50 percent.
    The healing is obviously going well inside, and with time the incisions will heal too and the appearance will improve.
    I tooky my dressing off yesterday. I'm going to have a much thicker scar where the infection was, but I can live with that.
    Wishing you well, and I'll be praying for your mum, you and your family.
    Great you will be staying with your mum. That will help both of you.
    Keep in touch :-)