Just wanted to update everyone... so I have been in pain management for the past year and a half. I have/had 2 degenerated disc, only 3MM of space with my L4/L5, and L5/S1, and my L5 Vertebre had shifted out of place. I have been in severe pain and over the past year and half had built up a pretty good tolerance to pain meds.... after thinking about this for a long time and getting tired of living my life a day at a time, I decided to go ahead with surgery.
On 4/12/2010 I had a axialif 2L done wich involved drilling up thru 3 vertebre and placing a rod to restore disc height, 2 facet screws, 3 pedicle screws, and a double fusion. As of today, 4/29/2010.... my recovery in the past week has really begun to accelerate. I am up to walking over 2 miles a day and just up'ed to a 20lb weight restriction, from five.
I have to say thus far (keeping fingers crossed) I feel little to almost zero disc pain and very little nerve pain (most of my problem was the disc pain, constant throbbing). I am dealing with bone pain where they drilled and incision pain where they cut thru the muscle for the screws...My pain doctor as of yesterday has started weening me off my post op pain med dose, i was scared yesterday when he decided to do this, but I have to report the pain is no worse... so maybe I am ready to keep comming off. We are going to update my med dose every 2 weeks now untill I am completely clean.
I have to say, I should have done this sooner. I will be honest, this surgery was the worst pain I have ever been in my lift for the first 4-5 days.....To the point where they could not stabalize me after surgery and had to knock me out again just to control the pain. My high dose of pain meds for the year before the surgery made getting getting control of pain post op very difficult.... happily now, 2 weeks later, I am seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.
If anyone has any questions about this procedure or is thinking about getting it done, please feel free to PM me, you can even call me if you would like.
Most insurance companies still see the Axialif (and Axialif 2L) as experimental...so may be difficult to get them to pay. Best of luck to everyone and thank you all for the support this past year!!!!!