Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

1st day of my own custom nutrition plan am i on the right track?

Emj1988EEmj1988 Posts: 45
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:43 AM in Diet, Nutrition, Weight Loss
I have gained 25lbs since my injury a year ago. Exercise has been horrible because it causes pain. I figure the only shot to beating this it to change what I eat. All the fruits and vegetables will be blended together because I hate vegetables and the sweetness of the fruit will cancel this out. Since half of this is a liquid diet will this affect the strength of my jaws?

I think im on the right track? Im following all the food group requirements so far.

>My BMR is 2100 calories
>My target calories intake for this day is 1800 calories is this safe? I dont think work comp will pay for my to see a dietrition.

Day 1
1egg70/40; 1 cup Blueberries140g83/4; ½ cup Quaker oats 40g 150/25 + water
(1) Yoplait non fat yogurt 170g 100/0
(2) 1 cup of skim milk 245.0g 86/4
(3) 1slice of whole wheat bread 28.3g 120/20 tot fat 2g @ 4% DV
(4) 1 Tbsp of honey 10.5g 60/0
Cal 70+83+150+100+86+87=606
Fat Cal 40+4+.5+25+4= 73.5

1 1/2 cup Cherries 123.0g 111/3; 1 cup Broccoli 88.0g 30/0; 1 cup carrots 128.0g 52/3; 1/2 cup onions 80g 31/.5; 1 cup green peas 125g 70/5 + Water.
1 cup of pineapple juice 130/0
Cal 111+30+52+31+70=455
Fat Cal 3+3+5=11

Walnut 1/4 cup 28g 180/160 tot fat 18g @ 28%

2 Turkey Burgers 112g 240/140 tot fat 16g@ 24% DV
(1) 2 slices of whole wheat bread 56.6g 240/4 tot fat 4g @ 8% DV
(2) 1 Tbsp 17g Ketchup 15/0

Popcorn- ss 2 cup 8.0g 62/6

Cal 180+240+240+15+62=737
Fat cal 310
TOT for day 1800 Cal

L3-4: Mild bilateral facet arthroses.

L4-5: Mild desiccation and disc bulge. Mild bilateral facet arthroses.

L5-S1: Mild disc space narrowing and desiccation with a left central disc extrusion which extends dorsally up to 4mm. There is mild retrolisthesis of L5 on S1 of 2mm. There is mild ventral indentation on the dural sac and left S1 nerve root. There is no foraminal narrowing. Mild bilateral facet arthroses.

• Many health plans cover a visit to a Dietitian recommended by your Dr. or at a teaching hospital. I know what it's like I gained 40 lbs since my back injury then lost it by including 10 glasses or at least a liter/more than a quart everyday.

Cut back portion size of meals and cut out fat, dessert except yogurt and even yes 2 squares of dark chocolate everyday. Find out what exercise you can do like short walks or other okay-ed by your Dr. Anyways wish you success with your diet. Best wishes. CHarry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • :X Nice tips!
    Your Body - Your Castle!
    Thank you for posting this great article! Sometimes you get lost between a lot of choices and variety of Diet Plans. But, I agree, that combining healthy nutrition with active lifestyle and eat little bid of everything in moderation- this is the way to rich your goals in Diet Plan.
  • Yea I am going to scrap this its too much work to put 5 weeks of this together I'm just going to stick to a 1200-1400 calorie diet now. That just makes life that much easier. My goal is to lose 10 lbs in the next month so my doc is like what the heck when I see him again.
  • you will be surprised how much weight you lose eating as much fresh fruit and vegies as you can.. =D> all you want really!! just stay away from the sugar and butter!! good luck and don't just think of this as a diet but as a lifestyle change. something you will have to do for the rest of your life. so find foods that will fit into that for you!! Jenny :)
  • Hi EMJ,

I do South Beach, have had very good results with it and find it easy to follow (no calorie counting). It's a 3 phase diet, first 2-3 weeks no carbs, you then transition into adding 'good carbs' and final phase is maintenance for life. My PCP is OK w/ it, I would check w/ your doc before starting whatever plan you decide to follow.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

• At the beginning of this month I decided to reduce my total calorie intake for the day and eat whatever I want as long as I meet a 1200 calorie quota for the day and stop around there. The reason for the 1200 quota for me is that if you consume under that you risk loosing muscle mass and other bad things may happen if I remember this correctly (you will vary for this min intake; you have to look into this don't assume this is right for yourself!!!). I try to go by the food pyramid and get everything in. I only exclude deep fried junk and Ice Cream. So far I have lost 4 pounds lol!! Woot!!!! I still cannot believe this is working this fast. I also do about 3 hours worth of exercises a day which is solely dedicated to my back- that helps too I guess.

My doc said I was severely obese in May and im 5'11" and I my weight was 210 at the time giving me a BMI of like around 30 lol. He was wrong at what he said big time but I guess this is kind of motivating me to try to break around 185 for my goal.

-In a previous post up about I did mention this I just gave up in June and forced my self to do this this month now I am obsessed with calorie counting.
  • 1200 calories? Way too low.

You weigh 210 and have a goal weight of 185. For maintenance purposes you should be at. 210*15=3150. 185*15=2775.
    So at 210 and dropping 1lb/week. You need a deficit of 3500 calories/week or 500/day. So drop the 3150 to 2650.

I think you'll be scavenging muscle at 1200. That's enough calories for an 80lb person...

Oh and I agree with you. You're 210 and 5'11" and your doctor says you're fat. Needing to drop 20lbs means you're going for optimal weight, not you're fat. Just keep in mind though you will hear people complain their doctors called them fat on here. They're 50lbs or more overweight. No hiding the fact. That's too much fat. Surgeons have refused to do surgery for that reason alone.

Good luck.
  • Agree with Z here. The problem you might have is your body will eventually think its being starved and will save fat and start burning muscle. Exercise and diet is the best way to go. No way you're fat, I'm the same height and weight, 198, and my docs always say I'm thin for my age.

• 1200 calories seems awfully low for your height and desired weight I agree with ZO6. If you question it maybe do somemore rearch or contact your Physician. You really don't want to be putting your body into starvation mode so it stores fat(of course this is all just my personal opinion from personal experience). Your BMI may be a little high but I think the Dr. was very wrong calling you severly obese(jack*&^). It sounds like you are on the right track just don't burn yourself out on calorie counting. It's best to control your portions and eat the right food. One trick I use is eating on Salad plates, if I have the dinner plate I tend to want to fill it. If I have seconds I make it be the veggie or fruit portion of the meal. Good job on the 4lbs keep it up!!
  • I just wanted to stop by and wish you good luck on your weight loss. Don't forget to be sure your doctor is watching your vitamin levels such as D and k as you do this. But good luck on hitting your goal. A group of us did a year ago and I hit my goal and some put a few pounds back on and just recently lost them.
  • finding the right caloric intake is key to weight loss.. your doctor or a nutritionist are the best people to help you do this.. :D they can also give you a complete blood workup and help you with nutritional advice.good luck and i wish you the best on your weight loss program.. Jenny :)
This discussion has been closed.